Reilly elected first female ASG president in decades

By Maggie Thomas, For The Miami Student

On April 7, Miami students elected Maggie Reilly as the first female Associated Student Government (ASG) president in 21 years.

In the past 30 years, there have been four women elected as ASG president. Before Reilly, the last female president was Erin O'Donnell in 1996.

Reilly's journey to the presidency has been an unlikely one.

In fact, the junior political science major was never involved in student government or student council in high school, since her schedule as an athlete restricted her ability to participate.

But her lack of involvement quickly changed once she saw a flier in her first-year dorm advertising the opportunity to run for ASG senator. Reilly was intrigued and excited by the opportunity.

Reilly's first-year roommate, Kelly Whelan, helped her hang up campaign fliers across campus. Whelan observed as her roommate's interest in her major was sparked by that first election.

"I can tell Maggie cares about the students. She cares about Miami as a whole," said Whelan. "She is looking out for the students' best interests. I know I can always count on her."

When Reilly was a first year in 2013, the ASG vice president was a female student named Courtney Bernard. Reilly said she remembers wanting to be just like Bernard when she was a senior.

Knowing that a woman held the role of vice president a few years ago influenced and inspired Reilly. Although running for ASG president seemed intimidating at first, Reilly felt encouraged by the widespread support she received.

"It's definitely really exciting being the first woman president in 21 years," said Reilly. "It got a lot less intimidating realizing all the support I had from friends and classmates."

Reilly's love for politics was spurred by her involvement in ASG.

"It's really great being able to see the [immediate] impact one person, or Associated Student Government, can have as a whole on the campus," Reilly said, "whether it be the small changes you see in the dining hall or passing legislation that started the Armstrong Student Center campaign." Although Reilly's opponent in the election, Billy Fitzgerald, is male, things never felt unequal.

"I tried my best the whole time so we could run as equals, and not have it be different gender-wise between us," said Reilly.

Stuart Coulston, Reilly's running mate, said he didn't see Reilly's gender working against her.

"I never thought of Maggie being at a disadvantage [because of her gender], because I only saw her as the qualified candidate she was," said Coulston. "With the work she has done in the past, I never once doubted her ability as ASG president."

Reilly said she is very excited to begin her term as president of ASG, stressing that she intends to support all students. "Oftentimes people don't realize how much we are there for them," said Reilly. "Whether you are in Greek life, an athlete, from a diverse community, or any other facet of campus, we are always willing to help you out, and hear about the changes you want to be seen on campus."