Referee's alumni status necessitates rule change

Last weekend, the Miami University hockey team faced off against the No. 2 team in the country, University of Michigan. After an upsetting defeat, Miami students are not only voicing their disappointment in the game results, but also voicing their concerns over the head referee of the game, as he is a Michigan alumnus. The outcome of the game notwithstanding, this raises a few legitimacy questions regarding the way the Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) operates its refereeing system: Is it fair to a referee and the competing teams to have an alumnus referring his alma mater? The rules for the CCHA are reviewed every two years and officials will meet at the end of the 2008 season to discuss any possibilities of change. The Miami Student editorial board encourages the CCHA officials to enact a rule change from a one-referee system to a two-referee system, mirroring a structure similar to the NHL.

The CCHA assigned this referee to the Miami/Michigan series because he has nearly 20 years of experience and reputation as one of the most respectable referees in the league. However, despite his credentials, there are several unforeseen problems with assigning referees to their former universities and an unfair burden will always be placed upon the referee. Fans and students will constantly question whether there will be a subconscious bias underlying the referee's judgment. It's unfair to have to question a referee's call because of a possible conflict of interest.

Changing the CCHA's rules to a two-referee system would eliminate any suspicions of one referee favoring his alma mater in calls, without denying him of the opportunity to call high-profile games and, likewise, advance his career. A two-referee system is not foreign to collegiate hockey: The NCAA also works with a two-referee system. It would lead to a more accurate officiated hockey game, through removing any unwanted burden placed upon the referee and any suspicion of an underlying bias.

Although this debate was originally prompted by questioning last weekend's head referee's relationship to the University of Michigan, it aims to tackle the larger problem at hand. A game involving nationally ranked hockey teams should leave neither doubts nor questions regarding a referee's decision made during a game. There should be no room for suspicion concerning a referee's professionalism because he has ties to one of the team's schools. It is not fair to the students, the fans, the team and, most importantly, the referee. We should continue to encourage CCHA officials to enact a rule change this year to avoid any future problems.