RedHawks win 14 events at Ball State Challenge

By Ben Blanchard, Sports Editor

The Miami University track and field program dominated the Ball State Challenge in Muncie, Ind. this weekend, winning 14 events and placing second in 13.

"I'm really happy with how the meet went, both individually and as a team," sophomore Matt Bromley said. "The win has made me hungry for a little bit more, and I think the team feels the same way."

The RedHawks picked up their first win of the day in the women's javelin, thanks to freshman Danielle Collier's toss of 125-2. Sophomore Aaryn Gray took third with 115-9. Collier also finished eighth in the discus with a 120-11 throw.

In the men's 3000-meter steeplechase, senior Zack McBride led a Miami sweep with a winning time of 9:18.29. McBride's time now ranks him second in the current Mid-American Conference standings.

Sophomore Jordan Rice took second in 9:31.01, junior Cody Riesterer was third in 9:38.13 and sophomore Matt Bromley rounded out the pack in fourth at 9:41.29.

Shortly after the steeplechase, sophomore Jake Brumfield won the 1500-meter run in 3:55.47, a personal best.

Pole-vaulters freshman Matt Owens and senior Jake Hensh tied after each cleared 15 feet, but Owens was awarded the victory because he needed fewer attempts to reach the mark.

In the long jump, senior Kenny Glenn brought home the win and an automatic MAC championships berth with a leap of 24-1. Junior Grant Cole's jump of 20-11.75 was good enough for fifth.

Glenn also won the 100m dash in 10.78, a personal best.

"I think the team as a whole is starting to find its groove, gaining momentum with every meet," Owens said. "I just hope the weather stays nice the rest of the year."

Sophomore Maria Scavuzzo led the RedHawks in the 5000-meter with a winning time of 17:36.31, while fellow sophomore Sarah Starret was second in 18:20.29. Junior Jackie Mullins was fourth in 18:43.42.

Junior Andrew Dusing automatically qualified for the MAC championship in the 800-meter run with his winning time of 1:50.94 Saturday and now sits third in conference. Junior Stephen Biebehausen was second in 1:54.21.

Freshman Kalliopi Kountouri won a college race for the first time in the 400, crossing the line in 56.27. She now ranks third in the MAC.

On the men's side, freshman Jake Owens won the 400 in 48.39, the sixth fastest MAC time this season. Senior Adam Bodrick was a close second in 48.76.

Senior Megan Beaver finished fourth in the 800-meter in 2:11.91, fourth best in the MAC this season and an automatic qualifier for the MAC championship.

In the men's 4x100 meter relay, Miami finished first in 41.66.

Next weekend, the RedHawks send small squads to three meets: the Virginia Challenge, the Stanford Twilight Meet and the Jess Owens Classic at Ohio State.