RedHawks upset MAC-leading Akron, 77-64

By Ben Molnar, The Miami Student

Three RedHawks scored in double figures as Miami University men's basketball upset the Mid-American Conference leader Akron University, 77-64, Tuesday evening in Oxford, Ohio.

Sophomore guard Abdoulaye Harouna went off for 13 points in the second half, finishing with a career-high 16 points and six rebounds. Senior guard Eric Washington did his part as well, racking up 13 points and added seven assists, four rebounds and five steals. Senior guard Geovonie McKnight scored 20 points and added four rebounds.

"That was big for our confidence," Washington said. "I think that was big for everybody in our locker room. Our coaches - we game planned really hard for them."

In the last meeting between the two teams on Jan. 23, Akron crushed Miami 75-46.

"We felt like they embarrassed us last time," Washington said. "So I think we had more of a motivation for this game, no matter the outcome. We just decided that we weren't gonna let them do what they want to do. We were gonna send a message and play hard, and today that resulted in a win."

Harouna attributed his career day to his shot.

"We focused on my shot, obviously," he said. "I went in there and focused on my catch-and-shoot. Anytime I think I can make shots, I'll shoot it, and I was able to do that."

The RedHawks went into halftime with a 32-27 lead. The Zips opened the second half with five unanswered points to even the game at 32-32 by the 18:16 mark. They later took a 40-38 lead on sophomore guard Antino Jackson's 3-pointer.

MU took an 11-point lead with 2:03 left in the game on McKnight's pair of free throws. Akron pulled within 69-61 when Jackson made a 3-pointer with 38 seconds left, but the McKnight and Washington each hit a pair a free throws, and senior forward Chris Bryant dunked.

Part of MU's game preparation was defending the perimeter more effectively, as Akron lives on the 3-point shot.

"They like to shoot threes. They live on a lot of threes. They make about fourteen, fifteen a game on average. That's a lot," Washington said. "Coach just told us, make them have to beat us from something else. Last time, last game, they got comfortable from the three, and they burned us. They hit about fourteen up there. That was just the game plan, to make them have to take tough twos and put it on the floor."

Miami held Akron to a 9-of-21 percentage behind the arc.

"I think we did a really good job of defending the 3-point line against them," head coach John Cooper said. "They stretch you so much, you gotta try to sort of pick your poison."

Miami shot 46.3 percent from the field and 20 for 23 from the free throw line.

Junior center Isaiah Johnson paced the Zips with 21 points, going 5-of-7 from the free throw line. Sophomore guard Noah Robotham played the most minutes for Akron at 35, but Miami held him to five points and 2-of-7 from the floor. Jackson added 14 points.

Akron falls to 21-7 (10-5 MAC), and Miami improves to 10-18 (4-11).

The RedHawks return to action against Kent State University at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at home.