RedHawks train for winning season

Senior quarterback Daniel Raudabaugh is a three-time letterwinner. (Michael Griggs / The Miami Student)

Dan Kukla

For the Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians, baseball season is all but over. For fans of these clubs, however, it simply means more time to focus on the sport America loves most: football.

At Miami University, which draws the vast majority of its students from the aforementioned cities, the time has come for the football team to take center stage. A new head coach is in town, and the season opener is just a week away. The burning question now is "what can Miami fans expect to see from the RedHawks on the gridiron in 2009?"

Miami is one of five teams in the Mid-American Conference turning to a new skipper and one of nine teams returning its starting quarterback. This provides the squad with a unique contrast between new and familiar. Disregarding any and all opinions about the quality of Daniel Raudabaugh's past play,

however, he too looks to provide significant change as well.

For the first time in his Miami career, Raudabaugh will receive the attention of a quarterback coach. Former Head Coach Shane Montgomery did not include this position on his staff, opting to coach the gunslingers himself on top of his many other duties. The addition of Morris Watts, however, means the signal callers are now given completely undivided attention from a more than seasoned veteran.

"The big thing about Daniel is that he really has a command of our offense right now," Watts said. "He understands it thoroughly, so everything he is doing, he is pretty much doing on time."

Watts brings 44 years of coaching experience, including 12 years at Michigan State University, four years at Louisiana State University and one year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has his hands full at Miami as the RedHawks currently run five quarterbacks on their roster. The most recent depth chart puts Raudabaugh as the starter with redshirt freshman Zac Dysert as his backup. New recruit Austin Boucher, who turned down the likes of Ohio State University, Stanford University and the University of Cincinnati, slides into the third spot with the recent departure of Clay Belton.

Another position of plenty for the 'Hawks is running back. Junior Thomas Merriweather, senior Andre Bratton and redshirt freshman Danny Green are all considered contenders for the starting spot at in the backfield. Green currently ranks first on the depth cart after impressing Haywood in the team's first fall scrimmage. Sophomore JR Taylor, who rushed for more than 100 yards in consecutive contests last season, is not currently in the running due to a less than impressive fall camp. Haywood insisted he will not run his backfield by committee but also said we can expect to see at least three backs used per game.

Three areas of concern Haywood identified are cornerback, fullback and tight end. He feels the depth at these positions is lacking and will rely on young talent to step up and perform. Miami fields two freshmen fullbacks and recently had junior Jordan Stevens switch from defensive end to tight end.

Looking further at the incoming class of freshman, several first years have already worked their way into the two-deep depth chart. True freshman Austin Brown, who comes with a dominant 6-foot-2-inch, 266 lb. frame, will start at defensive tackle, while first-years Pat Hinkle and Wes Williams take second-string positions at safety and defensive end respectively. Both centers listed on the two-deep, Brad Bednar and John Anevski, are true freshman as well, giving the RedHawks youth on both the offensive and defensive line.

"Those are the key areas in which you win football games," Haywood said.

The main competition in the MAC looks to be the usual suspects. In the eastern division, members of the media picked the University at Buffalo to repeat as champions. The Bulls return 13 starters from 2008 including running back James Starks and wideout Naaman Roosevelt. Starks posted consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and scored a total of 17 touchdowns last year. Roosevelt smashed school records by catching 104 balls for 1,402 yards and 13 touchdowns.

In the west, Central Michigan State University is predicted to return to the top. The defending champion Ball State Cardinals lost standout quarterback Nate Davis to the NFL draft, paving the way for Chippewa gunslinger Dan LeFevour to take over the division. LeFevour joins 17 other returning starters on a team that defeated the RedHawks in the MAC championship game two seasons ago.

Miami kicks its season off Sept. 5 at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati against the University of Kentucky. With fall camp winding down, the Miami players are anxious to take the field and show everyone what they are capable of.

"Guys are ready to go out there and hit somebody else," Raudabaugh said. "Somebody in a blue-colored helmet."