RedHawks take down Bobcats

Justin Maskulinski, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University women's basketball team ended an eight game skid Saturday as it won its final Mid-American Conference game, taking down archrival Ohio University 68-63.

The win came on senior day, and senior guard Haley Robertson commented on how she was able to control her emotions before her final game at Millett Hall.

"It's definitely hard [to control pregame emotions]," Robertson said. "You just have to stay focused. It helps that your teammates are communicating. That's a big thing: relying on your teammates to refocus each other."

The game began with five straight points from Ohio (9-20, 4-14 MAC). The two teams played closely as each team went on runs.

"We had some foul trouble going on," head coach Cleve Wright said. "We were trying to put the right combinations out there to try to make some runs. I felt like at the end [of the game], we got a couple nice looks. If we knock those down, it's a two possession game instead of a one possession game."

Miami took a 33-26 lead into halftime.

The RedHawks did not give up their lead in the second half, although the Bobcats tied the game twice, at 44 and 53 apiece.

Miami held onto its lead despite a Bobcat comeback attempt.

With four seconds remaining in the second half the 'Hawks led 66-63, and Ohio sophomore guard Kiyanna Black threw up a 3-point attempt that bounced high off the rim and was gathered in by Miami sophomore forward Hannah McCue.

McCue went to the free throw line and made both of her attempts, securing the RedHawk victory.

"I'm really proud of our team today, and the way they fought," Wright said. "It was certainly a tough game. I thought we really attacked on offense and did a good job talking and played as a team."

The five seniors recognized at Millett Hall were forward Erica Almady, forward Kristin Judson, guard Haley Robertson, guard Hannah Robertson and center Kelsey Simon.

The 'Hawks were led Saturday by 18 points from Hannah Robertson. McCue and Almady added 10 points each in Miami's winning effort.

Robertson commented on her last game at Millett Hall.

"I'm assuming it won't hit me until I don't have any more days of practice to come to," Robertson said. "It was great to go out with a win."

The 'Hawks will have one day to rest before hitting the road for the first round of the MAC Tournament. Immediately following the game Wright was almost certain the 'Hawks would be heading to Kalamazoo for a matchup against Western Michigan University (12-17, 8-10 MAC).

"We think [we play] Western Michigan, we're 99 percent sure," Wright said. "We have played them twice, so we certainly know how they play [against] some of our stuff. We'll be ready to play on Monday."

The 'Hawks are scheduled to make the drive to Kalamazoo Sunday afternoon for an evening tip, according to Wright.

Robertson believes the Ohio win will be a key step in the 'Hawks preparation for the MAC Tournament.

"I think we're gaining momentum," Robertson said. "We're feeling like we've been getting better every game and it just hasn't been coming out for us. We'll take these steps and turn around and hopefully make a run."