RedHawks sweep EMU in conference opener

Junior righty Amber Logemann winds up for a pitch against Eastern Michigan University. Logemann has a 1.83 ERA in 107.0 innings pitched.

Photo by Lauren Olson, Photography Editor

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

After winning three of its four games over spring break, the Miami University softball team began Mid-American Conference play with a road sweep of Eastern Michigan University 9-7 and 9-4 this weekend.

"With the games against Central Michigan being cancelled, we had to turn around quick to take on Eastern," junior pitcher Amber Logemann said. "On Saturday, we came out strong, got some runs but we let off the gas a bit. We finished strong and we came out really strong in the second game. We have to clean up our defense and our pitching, but it was nice to get two wins."

The offense had a strong showing against EMU with 22 hits over the weekend, but the pitching staff struggled, allowing 17 hits.

"We had our games against Central Michigan canceled due to weather, even though we felt pretty good about going up there," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "We played well against Eastern, especially offensively; we're very pleased with our hitting. Amber had a great weekend, but we need to get her more help and production from the other pitchers. Our defense also had a good weekend. This was the first time since I've been here that we've swept Eastern, so we feel good about that."

Miami (18-11, 2-0 MAC) took a 2-0 lead in the top of the second inning Saturday when senior third baseman/pitcher Remy Edwards and junior outfielder Tanya Busby each brought in a runner. The team racked up four more runs in the third as Edwards and senior outfielders Bree Lipscomb and Tiyona Marshall each recorded an RBI. Junior designated player/outfielder Taylor Shuey found her way home on a wild pitch.

After a two-run homer by Eastern Michigan (8-18, 0-2 MAC) in the bottom of the sixth, Lipscomb pushed the lead to 7-2 with a RBI double in the seventh. However, the Eagles knotted the game up at 7-7 with three-run and two-run hits in the bottom of the inning.

Senior shortstop Kylie McChesney scored on an EMU error to reclaim Miami's lead. An RBI from sophomore second baseman Eryn McCarver broadened MU's lead to 9-7. Logemann forced two EMU strikeouts and a groundout to seal the win.

Lipscomb was 3-4 with two RBIs, while Edwards and McCarver registered two hits each on the day. Logemann pitched 6.2 innings and struck out 12 in her 13th win of the season.

The Red and White continued their offensive onslaught in the first inning Sunday. Miami took a 4-0 lead when senior designated player Shanyn McIntyre scored on a wild pitch. McCarver and freshman third baseman Kat Lee each added an RBI. Despite generating nine hits on the afternoon, the Eagles were unable to recover from the deficit. The RedHawks tallied nine runs on 10 hits.

Busby went 3-5 with a RBI, while Marshall and Shuey totaled two hits each. Edwards allowed four runs on seven hits in 3 innings, but Logemann allowed only two hits in 4 innings of relief work.

The 'Hawks return to action 6 p.m. Tuesday when they host Eastern Kentucky University.

"Now we have to turn our focus to Eastern Kentucky," Crowell said. "They're a good team that's well-coached, and we have to get back to work this week."

The Colonels limp into Oxford, having lost six of their last nine games. Senior pitcher Sarah Fobbs, senior third baseman Shannon McQueen and freshman catcher Sarah Jackson run the offense, as each player has 20 or more RBIs this season. On the other hand, the pitching staff allows opponents to hit .294.

"We haven't won a lot of extra inning games, but we showed that we can keep fighting and never settle for less," Logemann said. "For Tuesday and the rest of next week, we have to maintain our energy and our momentum and just play our game."