RedHawks split games against ranked opponents in Terp Invitational

Alyssa Zediker, Staff Writer

The Miami University field hockey team (3-4) split its weekend games, upsetting No. 20 (4-2) American University and falling to No. 2 Maryland University (6-0) in the Terp Invitational.

"We are moving in the right direction," head coach Inako Puzo said. "It takes time to grow and develop a team that is a top 20 caliber team and I think we are closing the gap between us and those programs, but it will just take more work and discipline from us."

Miami took on American in the first game of the Terp Invitational, where a second half rally helped the RedHawks defeat the Eagles 3-2 and comeback from a first half two goal deficit.

"The players reacted very well to the half time talk, and they went back to the field trying to perform better hockey and pick up the intensity of the game, and we left the field in the end with a lot of character," Puzo said "Showing that we are Miami field hockey and we are ready to compete against some of the top teams in the nation."

American outshot Miami 10-2, and had three penalty corners in the first half, whereas the RedHawks only had one. However in the second half, Miami outshot the Eagles 9-5, and had five penalty corners.

"Coming off of the win against American, we were up to the challenge of Maryland and you could definitely see the excitement and willingness to perform well," senior goalkeeper Sarah Mueller said. "We gave our best and now we know what we need to keep working on for the future."

Maryland handled Miami easily, winning 6-0. It is the third time Miami has been shutout this season.

"In the end, what matters is what we learn from both games, and we probably learned more from the loss against Maryland than the win against American," Puzo said.

Mueller was able to make 10 saves against the highest scoring offense in the country, and the Terrapins were held scoreless until the 13th minute of play. Maryland is averaging 6.5 goals per game.

"The key to this weekend was that we were able to play with heart and to win our own individual battles, and the most important thing was to stick to our game plan," Mueller said. "Looking towards future games we know that we can rely on each other and that we will never give up no matter what the circumstances are."

Miami's next game will be its home opener against The Ohio State University. Puzo said the Buckeyes are looking for revenge after Miami knocked off Ohio State in Columbus last season. The game is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"In the end the Ohio State game is just one more competition, and we are taking it one game at a time," Puzo said. "It will be a battle and we have to be ready for them."