RedHawks spike skid with win over Akron

Redshirt sophomore middle hitter Jenny Ingle spikes the ball during Miami’s 3-1 loss to the University at Buffalo.

Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

Redshirt sophomore middle hitter Jenny Ingle spikes the ball during Miami’s 3-1 loss to the University at Buffalo. (Phill Ardnt | The Miami Student)

After snapping a seven-match losing streak in a 3-0 (26-24, 25-13, 25-22) win over the University of Akron Friday night, the Miami University volleyball team struggled against another Mid-American Conference (MAC) East Division opponent in the University at Buffalo in a 3-1 (10-25, 25-22, 25-21, 25-17) loss. The RedHawks (9-9, 1-5 MAC) are 1-3 in home conference matches this season.

The first set against Akron (6-11, 0-6 MAC) was a tight-knit affair until Miami reeled off a 4-0 run to go up 24-22, on its way to a 26-24 finish.

The RedHawks had an easier time in the second set, jumping out to a 17-6 lead, on their way to a 25-13 set win.

The Zips made things interesting, rallying from a 4-1 deficit and would keep it close until the RedHawks went on a 4-0 to take a 20-16 advantage. They never looked back as they took the set 25-22.

Junior setter Meg Riley and freshman middle blocker Paige Hill both had a team-high eight kills. Riley recorded 12 assists and six digs. Redshirt sophomore Jenny Ingle had a strong outing with seven kills, a .500 hitting percentage and a solo block. Freshman setter Krista Brakauskas registered 20 assists on the evening.

The RedHawks brought their offense to the first set against Buffalo (15-4, 3-3 MAC) as they jumped out to an 8-2 lead they would not relinquish as they won the set 25-10.

Buffalo turned the tables on the 'Hawks in the second set as it took a 9-2 advantage that the RedHawks would not recover. Miami stayed with the Bulls in the following set until a 7-2 run by Buffalo put Miami in a 13-6 deficit and Buffalo went on to take the set 25-21.

In the final set, the teams were tied at 4-4 before a 7-2 Bulls run eventually ended up in a 25-17 decision.

"We served well in the first set and we took them out of the game," head coach Carolyn Condit said. "We just didn't have the experience or the confidence that we needed. They were a good team... We need to go back to the drawing board as they say and work on basics and work on a faster pace. We need to find a new level and beat good teams."

Four players had a team-high seven kills for the 'Hawks: Riley, Ingle, Hill and sophomore outside hitter Annie Reiswig. Riley and Brakauskas accounted for 24 of Miami's 27 assists and senior libero Madison Hardy registered 18 of the team's 43 digs.

"[Akron] was a much better game," Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Sarah Chaney said. "We were a little bit off tonight. We need to be more of a team. We need to work on skills and playing together with chemistry. We need to be more consistent with our play and figure out who we are."