RedHawks soar into conference play at 6-2

Senior midfielder Elizabeth Gilroy and the RedHawks sprint off to a solid start in their first eight games, running to a 6-2 record. The team now heads to Springfield, Mo. to play the Missouri State Bears and start a stretch of five conference games.

Trevor Self

The field hockey team is Miami University's "Redeem Team."

Losing to arch rival Ohio University in the 2007 MAC championship after leading 2-0, this field hockey season is all about avenging defeat.

And with the bulk of non-conference games behind them, the RedHawks can now gear up for big MAC action where they can do exactly that.

"I'm really excited to start MAC play," head coach Jill Reeve said. "Each game has offered us one or two lessons to keep moving forward, keep building, and our preparation has made us as good as we can get."

Coming off the Miami September Showcase Friday and Sunday with a loss to No. 10 Michigan State University and an overtime win against the University of the Pacific, the RedHawks will play through five conference games in a row starting 11 a.m. Saturday against Missouri State University.

The Bears are 5-3 this season after playing a mild non-conference schedule. No. 20 Indiana University and Villanova University are the two most impressive teams on their schedule thus far, both of whom defeated the Bears, 5-1 and 3-1, respectively.

With a five-day drought between games and just practice to rely on, many teams are vulnerable to become lax and lose focus. The RedHawks, however, are preparing themselves mentally and physically for the road ahead.

"It's always a challenge," Reeve said when asked about the long break before the next match. "What's really terrific is (that) the team brings the motivation (that is naturally) needed, and has a desire to be better than yesterday."

Seniors Danielle Gaynor (back) and Elizabeth Gilroy (midfield) are co-captains for the RedHawks this year. This marks their second time serving as captains together?the last time being their senior year at Scripps High School in San Diego.

"It's a lot different than high school because then it was more democratic," Gilroy said.

Serving as captains for a collegiate team brings added responsibility. Gaynor said she and Gilroy serve as a liaison between the coaches and players.

"They are amazing leaders and each offers a different type of leadership for the group," Reeve said. "Danielle is more critical ... Gil is passionate, and they both lead by example on and off the field."

Often referred to as the "Dynamic Duo" by Reeve, Gilroy and Gaynor are not the only twosome leading this team. Sisters Katie and Christine Brightwell are putting together an impressive season of their own that is just recently gaining recognition.

Junior back Katie earned MAC defensive player of the week honors Wednesday. Against Pacific, Katie stepped in front of an otherwise open net to cover for goalie Megan Stengel. Her save kept the game tied 2-2, allowing the RedHawks to survive regulation and win in overtime. Katie also scored on a penalty shot against the Tigers to give the Hawks a 2-0 lead.

This defense gives up an average of only 1.5 goals-per-game and has allowed only 78 shots on goal this season, nearly half of Miami's offensive production. Freshman goalkeeper Abbey Huck has recorded three shutouts so far, giving the RedHawks an anchor in net.

"(Huck) is a special kid," Reeve said. "She has stepped up to the plate when we needed her and has made amazing saves in every game."

Huck has also helped maintain competitive practices with Stengel and junior goalkeeper Kelsey Dean.

"Putting shutouts on the board says something about us and to our opponents," Gaynor said.

The RedHawks sit atop the MAC conference (1-0) with a victory over Central Michigan and are 6-2 on the season so far. They will be doing all they can to maintain this position when they come out of the last game of this five-match stretch ending with Ball State University Oct. 12.