RedHawks serve up defeats to Louisville and ONU before falling to USF

Jordan Rinard, For The Miami Student

Following wins over the University of Louisville Cardinals and the Ohio Northern University (ONU) Polar Bears this past week, the Miami University tennis team (5-9) closed out their spring break with a loss on the road to the University of South Florida (USF).

In the first matchup in Hamilton, Ohio, freshman Christine Guerrazzi picked up a victory in three sets in the last match of the day. That turned out to be the game-winning point as the 'Hawks beat Louisville, 4-3. Guerrazzi defeated the Cardinals' Sarah Miller 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.

"I knew I was the last match but I didn't know I was the clincher," Guerrazzi said. "I was nervous for my own match but I didn't realize the entire match was riding on me."

Miami started the day with doubles wins by the team of senior Stephanie Danesis and freshman Alix Thurman and the team of sophomore Nimisha Mohan and sophomore Christiana Raymond. Raymond and Thurman also grabbed singles wins for the RedHawks with 6-2, 7-6, (7-4) and 7-5, 6-0 decisions, respectively.

"Because of all the close matches that we've had, this match can give us the boost to know we can do this again in the future," Guerrazzi said. "We have a tough schedule this year so if we can just keep going and keep working hard, this is proof of what we can do."

The RedHawks were scheduled to face off against Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Fl., but due to a scheduling conflict they competed against Division III Ohio Northern.

The 'Hawks recorded a dominant 7-0 victory over the Polar Bears, taking only an hour and fifteen minutes to finish the match, about half the time it takes for an average competition.

The RedHawks then suffered a grueling 5-2 loss at the hands of the Bulls of South Florida (9-5), who were ranked No. 42 in the nation the following day. However, Head Coach Anca Dumitrescu is excited about the growth of this young team.

"I feel that the girls are getting better with every match," Dumitrescu said. "We are competing better in pressure situations and getting tougher out there on the court. We are looking forward to starting the conference season."

Guerrazzi registered her third straight win in singles play 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, (7-4). Thurman got the second and last point of the day for Miami 6-2, 2-6, 7-6, (7-5).

"I think we all played well, especially in our match against USF," Raymond said. "The match really could have gone either way. We were close to winning the doubles point and close in winning four courts of singles but unfortunately the heat got to us. It was good to see how much we all have improved individually and as a team though. We are looking forward to getting back into practicing and looking ahead to our conference matches."

The 'Hawks begin Mid-American Conference (MAC) play March 23 when they travel to Akron University to face off against the team that defeated them in the 2011 MAC Championship.