RedHawks roll past Minnesota, UMass and Denver in Colorado

By Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

The sun came up, so the Miami University women's hockey team must have won this weekend.

That's what this season seems like as the RedHawks (11-0) continued to piled up the wins over the weekend in Colorado. The 'Hawks defeated the University of Minnesota 3-2, the University of Massachusetts 5-0 and the University of Denver 15-0. Miami has recorded shutouts in four of its last five games.

"It was a successful weekend for us," sophomore right wing Rachael Booth said. "The team bonded pretty well and we were able to get a lot of people involved in the scoring. Offensively, we were able to move the puck well and find the openings. What we take away from this weekend is that if we play as a team, we can play with tough opponents. We just need to have this attitude."

After being held scoreless in the first period against Minnesota, Miami exploded for three goals in a little over two minutes in the second period. Sophomore forward Jordan Hanson scored at the 7:45 mark, junior forward Izzy Smith got a goal at 8:21 and freshman center Katie Baldwin found the back of the net a minute and 34 seconds later.

The Gophers rallied late as they scored twice in the third period and were down 3-2 with 1:30 left, but the 'Hawks held on for their ninth win of the season. Freshman netminder Carly VanOrden stopped 14 of 16 shots, while the offense for the 'Hawks had 34 shots on goal.

The 'Hawks came out swinging against UMass. Freshman left wing Carly Noble, Booth and junior defender Morgan McGrath all picked up goals in the first period, with Booth's coming on the power play.

Junior center Haley Williams scored at the 8:04 mark of the second period and junior defender Jessica Gould cashed in on another power play opportunity with a second remaining in regulation. Sophomore goaltender Emalee Wills stopped all 10 shots she faced, while the offense fired 49 shots on goal.

The first period against Denver turned into a parade of goals as McGrath, Baldwin, Guthrie, Williams, Augustine,and Guthrie found the back of the net. Williams and Augustine scored within 10 seconds of each other in the second to push the lead to 8-0, while Hanson and Guthrie put the biscuit in the basket again late in the period.

Noble, Augustine, Booth, Baldwin and sophomore defender Catie Karpinski added goals in the third period. The 'Hawks dominated shots on goal 78-13.

"It was a good weekend," head coach Scott Hicks said. "We were able to display who we are to the rest of the country. It was a struggle offensively on Friday, but we had one of our better games of the year against UMass where we played a whole game and sent a message to the country… Our goalies were great. Carly's two goals were not her fault, but she came back with two shutouts. They're usually not tested, and that's a testament to the team in front of them. It's a big conference weekend for us this week, and this weekend was a good challenge for us."

The RedHawks return to Goggin Ice Center this weekend as they hosts Adrian College 7:30 p.m. Friday and 5:10 p.m. Saturday.