RedHawks ready for final home matches

Jordan Rinard, Staff Writer

The Miami University women's tennis team is looking to build off of its Mid-American Conference (MAC) wins over the University at Buffalo and the University of Akron as it faces Eastern Michigan University and the University of Toledo at home this weekend.

The RedHawks (6-12, 2-1 MAC) are 3-4 at home this season (2-0 in Oxford), are currently in a four-way tie with Akron, Ball State University and Bowling Green State University for second place in the MAC standings. The 'Hawks won last season's matchups with the Eagles and Rockets, 6-1 and 5-2 respectively.

In singles action this season, Miami has had some quality performances from its players. Junior Nimisha Mohan has earned victories in eight of her last 10 matches with her most recent being a 6-4, 6-2 decision against her opponent from Buffalo and a 6-0, 6-4 win over her Akron foe.

Fellow junior Christiana Raymond has won three straight matches since conference play began, which ties for her longest such streak this season. Junior Ramona Costea is currently on a four-match winning streak after going 1-6 to start the season.

"I'm getting more confident in my play," Costea said. "The gameplan that the coaches put together is working. I'm working hard to get better and I'm ready to fight."

The Red and White are also making strides in doubles play after coming off of back-to-back matches in which they earned the doubles point. The pair of Raymond and Costea has reeled off three straight wins, going 8-5, 8-6, 8-4 against Ball State, Buffalo and Akron respectively. Mohan and sophomore Alix Thurman triumphed in back-to-back matches as well with 8-1 and 8-2 wins over the Bulls and the Zips.

"We're working at being more aggressive [in doubles]," Costea said. "We're getting consistent at playing both serves, hitting a lot of shots and are playing closer to the net. We're getting mentally stronger and improving our [ability to] fight."

Eastern Michigan (6-11, 1-2 MAC) will be competitive this weekend against the 'Hawks as four of their losses, including the two conference defeats, were 3-4 decisions. In singles, freshman Klara Supejova has earned victories in three consecutive matches while sophomore Ankita Bhatia has won three out of four matches. The doubles team of Supejova and junior Nino Mebuke has registered ten wins on the season and are winners of three straight. However, EMU has earned the doubles point in only four matches this season. The Eagles are second to last in the MAC standings and are 2-9 on the road this season.

Toledo (7-9, 1-2 MAC) earned its first conference win last weekend when it downed Eastern Michigan 4-3 and are currently in seventh place in the MAC standings. Junior Chrissy Coffman has earned victories in four of her last five matches in singles play while freshman Katelyn Nguyen has recorded seven wins this season. In doubles, the tandem of sophomore Lexy Pitt and freshman Emily Mazzola are 4-2 on the season. Toledo is 1-7 in matches where they lose the doubles point. The Rockets are 2-6 in away matches this season.

"We're looking forward to these matches after coming off of a great weekend against Buffalo and Akron," assistant coach Ricardo Rosas said. "We're having a good week of practice and we're getting better. Eastern Michigan has a good team and Toledo is going to fight. We have to work on getting tougher as we head on in the MAC season."

The RedHawks start the action 1 p.m. Friday when they face the Eagles at the Hepburn Varsity Tennis Courts. They will then return to the court to play the Rockets 1 p.m. Saturday.