RedHawks prepare for Buckeyes

The Miami University Hockey team celebrates a shootout victory Nov. 12 against the University of Michigan. The Red and White are looking to bounce back against the Buckeyes after being swept by Northern Michigan University for the first time in over two years.

Tom Downey, For The Miami Student

The Miami University Hockey team celebrates a shootout victory Nov. 12 against the University of Michigan. The Red and White are looking to bounce back against the Buckeyes after being swept by Northern Michigan University for the first time in over two years. (SCOTT ALLISON | The Miami Student)

The Miami University RedHawks Hockey team faces a tough challenge this weekend during their home and home series against the No. 4 Ohio State University Buckeyes (OSU).

The Buckeyes are currently 12-3-1 overall and 9-2-1-1 in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA). Ohio State is currently riding an 11-game unbeaten streak.

The 'Hawks enter the series with an 8-8-2 overall record and a 4-6-2-1 mark in CCHA play. The Buckeyes are also first in the CCHA standings.

The Red and White enter the month of December after a strong November where they dominated the CCHA monthly honors. Senior goalie Cody Reichard won Goalie of the Month, freshman forward Austin Czarnik won Rookie of the Month and junior forward Reilly Smith won Player of the Month.

Czarnik was also named to the U.S. Junior Team preliminary roster.

"It was an honor to get both [awards]," Czarnik said. "Rookie of the Month was a big honor considering the team did well in CCHA honors. Making the USA team was also huge. It is all an honor."

After the team's tough series against Northern Michigan University, Head Coach Enrico Blasi explained how the team had to continue to improve.

"We have to get back to playing well," Blasi said. "We just have to keep getting better and put the past behind us. In our last ten games we are 6-2-2, so we are doing much better than during October."

As their record and rankings reflect, the Buckeyes are a very good team. In addition to their 11-game unbeaten streak, OSU has won nine straight games.

"It's an in-state rivalry and they are a really good hockey team," Blasi said. "That's how big it is."

During their match up last year in Columbus, the Buckeyes swept the RedHawks. In addition, a win this weekend would give the Miami hockey program its 600th win.

One of the keys to the game will be who can win the defensive battle.

"A big focus for us is going to be the battle in the defensive zone," senior defenseman Chris Wideman said. "OSU is a big, strong team and they play pretty physically. It is going to be important to play smart, out-work them, and limit turnovers."

Offensively, the Red and White will look to get a lot of players involved early and will also be looking to some of their young players to continue their success.

"We have to play our game, get the puck low and get shots to the goal," Czarnik said. "Special teams are huge for us so if we do that well, we should be successful."

The sweep at the hands of Northern Michigan Dec. 2 and 3 dropped the RedHawks to below .500 in the CCHA. It also puts them in a tie for eighth place with the University of Michigan, making this series against OSU even more important.

"This series is pretty important for the CCHA rankings," Czarnik said. "We're looking to climb up the standings sooner or later."

The first game of the series will be played in Columbus Friday. The teams will then come to Oxford for Saturday's game. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. for both games.