RedHawks place ninth in Florida

Hannah R. Miller, Senior Staff Writer

After a disappointing showing in their last tournament, the Miami University golf team traveled back to Florida for the Florida Atlantic University Spring Break Classic March 25, 26 and 27. The RedHawks displayed significant improvements in their performance and took fourth place in the tournament.

"It was a good event for us, it's what we expect to do every week," Head Coach Casey Lubahn said. "We didn't win but we put ourselves in a spot to have a great finish. We have things to continue to work on and build on, but this is exactly the mentality and effort level we're going to need every week."

Of the 17 teams there, Ohio State University finished first overall with a score of 12-under par. The Red and White finished in fourth at 5-over par as a team. Individually, freshman Mark MacDonald completed his first career tournament as a RedHawk finishing tied for 19 with teammate Austin Kelly at 2-over par.

"He walked on with us in the fall and for him to come out in his first tournament and perform like that says a couple things. He's listened very well, he's prepared and he's got a big heart," Lubahn said.

"With his play this weekend he has secured his spot for the next tournament and we expect to see him continue to grow," Lubahn said. "He's obviously got the ability and the work ethic, now he just needs to gain experience week by week."

After Friday's initial round, the 'Hawks found themselves in seventh place. With almost even scores across the board, Sutherland and Kelly shot 73s on Friday, while Michael Drobnick shot a 74 and MacDonald and Ben Peacock each shot 75s. On Saturday, senior captain Nathan Sutherland shot a tournament-low 66 to bring the RedHawks into fourth place after two rounds. Following Saturday's round Sutherland was tied for third at 5-under par individually.

"Nathan played awesome; it's great to shoot 66 like that," MacDonald said. "He didn't finish how he wanted to, but that day can give him good confidence going into the next few tournaments. He's a great guy to look up to, he's a great leader and he's a heck of a golfer, too."

On Sunday, Sutherland struggled in the third round, shooting a five-over par 77 to finish the tournament. MacDonald led the team in the final round with a 2-under par 70. Drobnick finished tied for 24th at 4-over par and Peacock finished tied for 48th at 9-over par.

"Friday and Saturday I put two pretty solid rounds together, so that gave me a little more confidence going into Sunday," MacDonald said of his team-low score Sunday. "I felt like I really managed my game well, I kept the ball in play and I didn't put myself in a position to shoot a big number. It was a pretty low stress round, we like that as golfers."

The RedHawks have only two tournaments until the Mid-American Conference Championships and the team is looking to come together and build upon what they have already accomplished.

"We pretty much had everybody that was playing in contention, helping each other out," MacDonald said. "We're all pretty consistent and that's one thing that's really good to have as a team heading into the next few tournaments."

The Red and White tee off next in the Hawkeye Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa on April 16 and 17.