RedHawks finish indoor season, prepare to kick off outdoors

Melissa Maykut, Staff Writer

Three members of Miami University's women's track and field team competed in the Alex Wilson Invitational at the University of Notre Dame's Loftus Center March 4 and 5, but none qualified for the NCAA Championships.

Junior Rachel Patterson ran in the 5000 meter race on Friday. In the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championships Feb. 25 and 26, Patterson had set a season-best and school-record time of 16:27.01, which won her the 5000 meter title. Her time ranks 47th nationally.

In a field of 18 runners, Patterson placed fifth in 16:24.54, breaking her own record from the MAC Championship and setting a new school-record time.

Freshman Erica Mudd also participated in the Alex Wilson meet, trying to earn a spot in the high jump. She won the high jump title in the MAC championship, but after trying to clear 1.67 meters, she did not record a height.

Senior Katie Lenahan was the final competitor for the Red and White Saturday. Racing in the 800 meter event, Lenahan finished 14th out of 35 runners in an indoor personal-best time of 2:09.65.

"The goal for me was to break the school record," Lenahan said.

Although Lenahan couldn't reach her goal, her time is the third-best indoor time in Miami history and is the fastest time clocked by a RedHawk since 1998.

"I think it was a good way for Rachel and I to end our indoor seasons," Lenahan said. "It's promising for our outdoor season."

Women's track and field will kick off their outdoor season March 25 and 26 when they compete in the Vanderbilt University Black and Gold meet in Nashville, Tenn.

"It's our first outdoor meet, so it's kind of about just getting things going," head coach Kelly Phillips said. "The goal is to just get a good first meet in to kick off our outdoor season."

The 'Hawks had six event victories in 2010 when they competed in the Vanderbilt meet. They won two running events-the 1500 meter race and 4x400 meter relay and took home four field event titles-the long jump, triple jump, shot put and discus.

Miami is a solid team, comprised of runners like Patterson and field event competitors like freshman Erica Mudd who have already done great things for Miami in their indoor season.

Going into their outdoor season, the women's track and field team is showing potential of being an overall stronger team than last season.