RedHawks fall to 9-5 after tough weekend in North Carolina

Tom Downey, For The Miami Student

The Miami University women's volleyball team finished a tough three game tournament over the weekend at the Tar Heel Classic in North Carolina. 

The RedHawks began tournament play against the St. Louis University Bilikens. The Red and White lost narrowly lost the first set 23-25 and then lost the second set 10-25. The Redhawks then battled back to win the next set 27-25 and the fourth set 25-21. At one point, the final set was tied 11-11, but St. Louis went on to score four straight points to win the set and the match.

"We positioned ourselves to beat St. Louis at the end of the match but untimely errors kept us from winning," Head Coach Carolyn Condit said.

Amy Raseman had 14 kills for the RedHawks and Kayleigh Cox had a career-high seven block assists. In addition, Madison Hardy had a team-high 22 digs and Meg Riley led the team with 25 assists. 

In the second match of the tournament, the team played tournament host the University of North Carolina. The Tar Heels swept Miami 15-25, 13-25, 22-25. Madison Hardy again led the team in digs with 19. Amy Raseman also again led the 'Hawks with eight kills. Madison Dodd had a career high 11 digs and Meg Riley led the team with 20 assists.

The final match of tournament was against the University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane. Tulsa swept Miami 18-25, 21-25, 20-25. With the win over Miami, Tulsa won the tournament. Cassie Farrell led the team with eight kills and Madison Hardy once again led the team with 17 digs. Madison Dodd set a career high in digs for second time in the tournament, this time with 13. Amy Kendall led the team with 18 assists. 

Madison Hardy had three great defensive showings, averaging just over 19 digs per game. Meg Riley also had a solid tournament as a setter, averaging just over 19 assists per game, including nearly 23 through the first two games. Amy Raseman averaged just under nine kills per game for the RedHawks. 

Losing all three tournament games puts the 'Hawks overall record at 9-5 as they prepare to enter conference play. The Red and White will have two away games this weekend as they play at Kent State University on Friday and then at Ohio University on Saturday. Ohio currently stands at 8-6 on the year while Kent State is 6-7.