RedHawks fall in 3-2 thriller against BG

Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

After jumping out to an early 2-0 lead over Bowling Green State University, the Miami University volleyball team let opportunities drift away and were unable to stop the three-set rally on its way to a loss in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) opener Thursday night.

The RedHawks (8-5, 0-1 MAC) start conference play with a losing record for the second consecutive year.

In the first set, Miami jumped out to an early 10-5 lead. The 'Hawks would never relinquish the lead as they took the set 25-19.

The Falcons (4-9, 1-0 MAC) retaliated by taking a 5-2 advantage in the second set before the Red and White reeled off four straight points. The two squads would trade blows for the rest of the set until the score was 24-23 in favor of the Falcons and the 'Hawks posted three consecutive points.

The third set began with both sides exchanging points until the Falcons reeled off a 4-1 run to take the 13-9 lead. The RedHawks were unable to recover as they dropped the set 26-24.

Miami would take a 6-2 advantage in the fourth set prior to surrendering a 5-1 Bowling Green run. It would be a tight affair until the Falcons reeled off a 3-1 run to close the set 25-22.

Bowling Green would take an early 4-1 lead over Miami before the RedHawks recorded five straight points. Despite surviving the back-and-forth swings and having three match points, the 'Hawks could not seal the deal as the defending MAC Tournament champions claimed four of the last five points to win the set 18-16.

Redshirt sophomore middle hitter Jenny Ingle had a strong outing for the Red and White, posting 14 kills, a .387 hitting percentage and one solo block to go with her four assisted blocks while having only two attack errors. Senior setter/outside hitter Meg Riley had a near triple-double with 11 kills, 25 assists, and seven digs while freshman outside hitter Maris Below had a double-double with 10 kills and 10 digs. Senior libero Madison Hardy recorded 28 digs in the match, which puts her within striking distance of the all-time digs record with 22 to go before breaking Melissa Zenz's record.

"I was proud of the way we started," head coach Carolyn Condit said. "We had serving and we were taking care of the ball. We were playing good volleyball. But our freshmen weren't making the best decisions and that comes with inexperience at this level. Bowling Green had a scrappy defense and that makes us better. We need to work on our placement of our off-speed balls. The defense needs tow work hard on reads and getting to their spots. Ingle did a nice job of being steady and our middles did a lot. I'm uplifted by the fight. We need to get healthy, but overall, I'm pleased."

Ingle also spoke of the match.

"It was an up-and-down match," Ingle said. "It's a team sport and we need to rally together. [As hitters] we need to make every contact count. We'll bring the fire to bounce back [Saturday]."

The RedHawks re turn to action 5 p.m. Saturday to face Western Michigan University at home.