RedHawks defeat NIU 26-21 to claim MAC Championship

RedHawks hoist the Mid-American Conference Championship trophy for the first time since 2003.

Scott Allison, Online Editor

RedHawks hoist the Mid-American Conference Championship trophy for the first time since 2003. (SCOTT ALLISON | The Miami Student)

DETROIT - Tough defense and clutch offense lifted Miami University over Northern Illinois University in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship Friday as Miami defeated the Huskies 26-21 to claim its first MAC championship since 2003.

It was fourth and 20 with less than two minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Miami called its final timeout to draw up a play. Quarterback Austin Boucher launched the ball in the air, it was tipped by a defender and the ball landed in the hands of Miami junior Chris Givens, converting for the first down and setting up the game-winning touchdown.

Senior Armand Robinson scored on a 33-yard pass from Boucher with 33 seconds remaining to put the RedHawks in position to claim the victory.

Robinson had a team best 176 yards receiving with one touchdown. Boucher threw for 333 yards and only one touchdown, but it was all that Miami needed to bring the championship trophy home.