RedHawks could play outdoor hockey game

Kyle Murray, For The Miami Student

Miami University could soon be part of a growing trend in hockey: outdoor games.

According to Josh Fenton, assistant athletic director, the trend of outdoor hockey games began in 2001 when rivals Michigan State University and the University of Michigan faced off at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Mich. On Jan. 15, Ohio State University (OSU) and Michigan played at Progressive Field in Cleveland. The NHL has also picked up on the idea and has created its own annual outdoor event called The Winter Classic.

Miami's Head Hockey Coach Enrico Blasi said the growing movement in the sport goes back to the grass roots of the game.

"It's a great feel and if anybody has watched any of the outdoor games, having that many people in an outdoor game is pretty special … it gives a feel of authenticity."

Miami freshman forward Jimmy Mullin watched the OSU/Michigan game last weekend with his teammates.

"I think that everybody would love to have an experience like that, it is definitely a once in a lifetime experience you would want to be a part of," Mullin said.

Blasi said he was very interested in the possibility of Miami playing an outdoor game and feels his players "would relish the idea of playing an outdoor venue."

Brad Bates, athletic director, said Miami has been discussing the possibility for several years, and that "it is probably going to continue to be an ongoing conversation."

Bates said if the university feels like it's in the best interest of the program, the school and the finances work out, the idea will probably move forward.

Fenton thinks the most likely scenario would include a third party organizer/host, similar to what the Cleveland Indians provided for the OSU/Michigan game last weekend, and that an event would include a double header with four teams participating.

Because the game would most likely be hosted by a third party, Miami would absorb none of the cost, $1 million of which Blasi said would be required to construct a rink. Additionally, Fenton said the school would recuperate any revenue lost if the game were to replace a scheduled home game.

Fenton thinks it is unlikely that hosting an event in Oxford would be feasible, and that Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit or Chicago would be ideal host cities with fellow CCHA members OSU or the University of Notre Dame as potential opponents.

Bates and Blasi both dismissed rumors that Miami has committed to an event next season, but Bates seemed open to the idea as long as "we feel like it's in the best interest of our program, the school and the finances work out."

Blasi seemed cautiously optimistic about the potential for a game next season.

"I have no hard evidence that we will, but we are having some good negotiations and talks with some people," Blasi said.

If Miami were to play a conference opponent, like OSU or Notre Dame, Bates said CCHA commissioner Tom Anastos would have to approve any decision made between the two schools for the game to be counted as part of the regular season. If the pieces fall into place in time for a game next season, Fenton and Blasi agreed that a decision would be made no later than the beginning of April.

First-year Beau Samples is thrilled about the idea of Miami participating in such an event.

"I have a pond in my backyard, I've been playing since I was little, it's the hockey I know, so I definitely like the idea of it," Samples said.