RedHawks break even on MAC road trip

JD Prewitt, For The Miami Student

The Miami University softball team took to the road this weekend to play their first four Mid-American Conference (MAC) games of the season, splitting their games and moving to 2-2 in the conference.

Coming off a loss to Wright State University last week that snapped a six-game winning streak, the RedHawks came back to capture their first two MAC games of the season.

On Friday the Red and White traveled to Northern Illinois University to face the Huskies in a doubleheader. Miami won the two-game series beating the Huskies 8-5 with only seven hits in the first game and 7-6 on 13 hits in game two.

"Some players stepped up and got hits when they needed," Head Coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly said.

Senior third basemen Daniela Torres had a fantastic day, going 4-8 with eight RBIs and two home runs in the doubleheader. Torres is hitting .376 on the season with a .600 slugging percentage and 21 RBIs, leading the team in all three categories.

"I was pretty comfortable," Torres said. "I was just trying to drive the ball and score runs."

Senior pitcher Jessica Simpson threw a complete game in game one, giving up 10 hits and four earned runs. Simpson is 12-10 on the year with a 1.23 ERA in 130 innings of work.

The 'Hawks were back on the road Saturday and Sunday to play Western Michigan University (WMU), falling in both contests.

The Broncos jumped out quickly in game one to a three-run lead until the seventhinning when Torres and freshman Shanyn Mcintrye each doubled to drive in two runs. Despite the comeback effort, the 'Hawks fell 3-2.

In the second game, WMU pulled away after the Red and White scored in the fourth, and the Broncos grabbed a 5-1 lead following a big fifth inning.

"When you play in a conference like ours, you play some pretty tough teams," Kovach Schoenly said. "[The team] fought hard and it didn't go their way."

The RedHawks are now 19-12 this season. Even though it is early in the season, the Red and White are fourth in the MAC East Division behind a three-way tie for first between Bowling Green State University, Kent State University and Ohio University.

Miami faces the University of Akron in a home doubleheader 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Friday at the Miami Softball Stadium behind Millett Hall.