RedHawks blown out by No. 11 Indiana 16-1

Freshman Brad Schwartz delivers a pitch during Miami’s 16-1 loss to Indiana Wednesday. Schwartz went 2 1-3 innings, giving up one run on two hits.

Steven Perkins, For The Miami Student

Freshman Brad Schwartz delivers a pitch during Miami’s 16-1 loss to Indiana Wednesday. Schwartz went 2 1-3 innings, giving up one run on two hits. (Ben Taylor | The Miami Student)

The Miami University baseball team lost to No. 11 Indiana University 16-1 Wednesday. The Hoosiers scored in all but two innings on Wednesday as they put up 20 hits to the RedHawks five.

Manager Danny Hayden said the game gave the RedHawks (20-24) an indication of where they stand.

"It's nice to play against the best teams that we can," Hayden said. "We're trying to be one of the best teams in the country and certainly playing those guys and seeing where you stack up is good. We didn't stack up very well today."

Junior center fielder Matt Honchel echoed Hayden's sentiments.

"It's a mid-week game so we lacked that confidence," Honchel said. "It's cool though to play a team like that just to see where we are and where we need to be."

Miami used seven different pitchers against the Hoosiers (29-12), including sophomore starter Wynston McMartin. He went 1 2-3 innings, allowing four runs on seven hits.

Miami's hitting could not make up the deficit.

"That was the most frustrating part," Hayden said. "For mid-week games you're going to have to score some runs, our pitching depth isn't great, it's not the strength of our team, but the strength of our team is our offense and when we go out and lay an egg like that offensively we give ourselves absolutely no chance of winning a baseball game."

Miami recorded only five hits in 33 at-bats. No player recorded a multiple hit game and Miami's lone run did not come until the bottom of the ninth inning.

Looking forward to the weekend, Miami hosts Mid-American Conference foe Bowling Green State University (20-20) in the RedHawks last three home games of the year.

Honchel said the team is looking forward to the weekend.

"Bowling Green is a tough team this year, but I think we'll be alright," Honchel said. "Our arms are getting hot and our bats are getting hot in MAC play."

Hayden said the team is excited for the series.

"Yeah, we're excited," Hayden said. "They're right with us in the standings. It'll be a big week for someone to separate themselves a little bit and I feel good about our chances with what we've got coming at them on the weekend. We have certainly got to figure it out offensively. We didn't have a great weekend last weekend swinging the bats, and now carrying that into today where we don't swing the bats at all. We have some things to figure out in the batters box."

The RedHawks are a half-game back of the Falcons in the MAC East standings. The Falcons are in the third place, with Miami in fourth. The top of the MAC East is close, as Miami is just two games back of conference leader Kent State University.

First pitch for Friday's game is set for 6 p.m., with Saturday's set for 3 p.m. Sunday's game starts at 1 p.m. and will serve as senior day for the RedHawks. All games will be played at McKie Field at Hayden Park and can be heard on r edhawkradio.com/sports/listen.