RedHawks blank NKU in five inning blow-out

Miami senior pitcher Paige Myers winds up during Miam’s 5-4 loss to Wright State March 20. Myers is 7-4 with a 2.78 ERA so far this season.

Jordan Rinard, Senior Staff Writer

Miami senior pitcher Paige Myers winds up during Miam’s 5-4 loss to Wright State March 20. Myers is 7-4 with a 2.78 ERA so far this season. (Blake Wilson | The Miami Student)

The Miami University softball team extended its winning streak Wednesday as it routed Northern Kentucky University 8-0. The RedHawks were supposed to play two games against the Norse, but their second game was canceled due to inclement weather. The RedHawks (14-15, 2-0 MAC) also have won their last two home games.

The 'Hawks established their presence in the first inning as they kept Northern Kentucky (3-27) off the board and scored off two RBIs by senior first baseman Allie Larrabee. The score remained the same until the fourth inning, when the Red and White picked up five runs off an error and RBIs from sophomore right fielder Hailey Reed, senior second baseman Kristy Arbour, plus two RBIs from senior catcher Kayla Ledbetter. Redshirt freshman Eryn McCarver ended the game in the fifth with a double that drove in the eighth run of the night.

Larrabee, Ledbetter and McCarver all ended up 2-3 on the night with two RBIs. Senior pitcher Paige Myers picked up her third shutout of the season against the Norse, allowing three hits and throwing seven strikeouts in five innings of action.

"We're really happy to get the game in [before the rain came]," Larrabee said. "It's a win that can boost our confidence and we're feeling pretty good. We just need to work on making the best of our opportunities, batting with runners in scoring position and getting people out. We also need to improve our consistency on offense and defense."

Miami hosts the University of Toledo and Bowling Green State University this weekend to continue MAC play. The Rockets (11-19, 3-1 MAC) have won three straight games, but are 0-2 this season on the road. UT is led by sophomore outfielder Jessica Lemieux, who leads the MAC with 44 hits and .427 batting average to go with her .459 on-base percentage and .485 slugging percentage. The team is second in the conference with a .296 batting average, but last with a .942 fielding percentage.

The Falcons (11-16, 2-2 MAC) are fourth in the East Division standings this season after splitting games with both Northern Illinois University and Western Michigan University and also have an unimpressive road record, which currently stands at 4-7. Bowling Green is led by junior pitcher Jamie Kertes, who is fourth in the MAC with a 2.21 earned run average, despite her 7-11 record. The team has doubleheaders with Wright State University and Ball State University prior to arriving in Oxford.

"We're happy that we had an opportunity to play and get this game in," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "We were ready to, something that you like to see in a midweek game. We set the tone by scoring and shutting Northern Kentucky out in the first inning. Paige did great today, battled through the weather, and everybody on offense stepped up. We're happy with where we're at and we're looking forward to MAC play this weekend. It was a good team effort tonight."

The Friday doubleheader against Toledo is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and the games against BGSU are set to take place at 2 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday.