RedHawks begin new era under Wright

Justin Maskulinski, Senior Staff Writer

The Miami University women's basketball team begins its 2013-14 season Friday. The RedHawks take on the Colonels of Eastern Kentucky University at noon in Millet Hall.

The RedHawks have to replace record-breaking 2013 graduates Courtney Osborn and Kirsten Olowinski this season and senior guard Haley Robertson said it won't be an easy job.

"[Osborn and Olowinski] are definitely big replacements for us leadership-wise and on the court obviously with scoring," Robertson said. "It's gonna be a team effort to fill those shoes, it's not just going to be one person or a couple people, it's definitely gonna have to be a lot of people filling those roles."

Another big change for the RedHawks this year is first-year head coach Cleve Wright. Robertson said the process has been especially unique for her because she is a senior.

"It was definitely a big change to make as a senior," Robertson said. "Obviously getting everyone to buy in and get on the same page is one of the biggest struggles you can go through when making a coaching change. I think everyone has done really well with it and we're all really excited."

Miami is coming off a 71-54 exhibition win against Seton Hill University. Wright said the game gave him film to evaluate the team. After reviewing the film, Wright saw areas where the 'Hawks can improve.

"Certainly we want to get better defensively and be able to play better together," Wright said. "I felt like we gave up too many points. I felt like we did a lot of good things also, I think we've gotten better every day, every week, we just need to continue in that direction."

Robertson said the RedHawks need to focus on the defensive side of their game in their first contest of the year.

"I'd say we have pretty high expectations," Robertson said. "We want to start [the season] off strong. We're looking to play together and improve from our last game. We're expecting to play tough defense."

Senior guard Courtney Larson and junior guard Kindsay Brandt brought the ball up the court for the 'Hawks for most of the exhibition game, and Wright said he will continue to split the role of point guard.

"We have a couple of people who can play point guard, maybe even two and a half to three people," Wright said. "We are going to have some people who can share time there. I think we're very fortunate because we have more than one person who can play that position."

Wright is not concerned about a win in Friday's season opener, but if things go the way he would like them to, the RedHawks will be 1-0.

"I am concerned about us getting better and excited about the season opening up and I know our players are excited about that," Wright said. "My biggest concern is that we play team defense and that we execute our offense to the best of our ability and take steps in the right direction. If we focus and concentrate on that, then the rest will take care of itself."