RedHawk diver competes in NCAA Championships

Sophomore Cameron Horner was the a Miami diver to compete in the NCAA Championships in 35 years.

Michael Solomon, Staff Writer

Sophomore Cameron Horner was the a Miami diver to compete in the NCAA Championships in 35 years. (CONTRIBUTED PHOTO)

Miami University sophomore diver Cameron Horner competed in the NCAA Championships this past weekend in Columbus, finishing 28th in the one-meter diving event, and 23rd in the three-meter diving event. Horner became the first diver from Miami since 1975 to compete in the NCAA Championships.

"I don't think Cameron was happy with his performance at the conference meet," senior teammate Michael Carroll said. "He came back to practice and dove and trained hard before the national meet, and I think he represented Miami very well in Columbus."

Although weather altered the schedule of the meet and pushed the prelims back one day, Horner came out ready for action in the one-meter diving event.

"Plans went a little haywire this morning when central Ohio was bombarded with a freak snow shower last night," Horner said. "Though the weather piece of the puzzle was removed, we reconstructed our plans. With a quick change of schedule, we hit the road and headed for the pool. After the hour long warm up, the competition began. In the blink of an eye, prelims were over. Though there are things I knew I needed to improve on, I was very happy with how I finished overall."

Horner's score of 299.35 in the one-meter competition Friday was good for 28 out of 35 divers, and his score of 320.75 in the three-meter competition was good for 23 out of 30 participants.

"I was overwhelmed with the support from my mini fan base," Horner said. "Throughout the day, I received many congratulations and comments of encouragement from a bunch of members of the swimming team, as well as other teams from MU. I am so proud to be a piece of the Love and Honor puzzle."