Red Mitten Campaign helps local families

Natalie McKerjee

The red paper mittens hanging in Laws Hall are worth more than their face value-they represent a book, a coat and a campaign to help community members during the holidays.

The Farmer School of Business's Red Mitten Campaign, devoted to providing holiday gifts for families in need within the Oxford community, has begun.

"The campaign is directed towards working families who are having difficulty making ends meet," said Terri Barr, associate professor of marketing and creator of the campaign.

Barr said the campaign focuses on helping families who don't receive aid from other sources, such as welfare, and have at least one child in elementary school.

These families must live in the Talawanda School District and have been identified by school nurses and guidance counselors.

Barr said she established the campaign at Miami six years ago.

"I felt we needed to be involved in some way with the community," Barr said.

According to Barr, the 2008 campaign will reach 13 families and three Talawanda School District nurses who have expressed need for various items. This year, student organizations, including Greek life, have become involved with the campaign, sponsoring 10 of the 13 families.

Barr said the number of families who request support has varied over the years, with fewer than five families participating some years.

"We try to keep the families as anonymous as we can," Barr said.

Barr said the campaign is comprised of both student and faculty volunteers who donate various items parents request for their children. These items include warm clothes, gift cards and tennis shoes.

"They are really asking for the basics," Barr said.

Barr also said they need wrapping paper-gifts are given unwrapped so parents can do that themselves.

Barr said she hopes to expand the campaign in the future.

"We have an opportunity for growth next year," she said in response to the proliferation of interest in the campaign.

Barr said the campaign has already made developments from previous years, including reaching out to several multicultural families. This year, the campaign is supporting multiple families of students from Talawanda's English as a Second Language (ESL) program.

Linda Bucher, the ESL teacher for the Talawanda School District said she contacted Barr with items that her students may need in the classroom.

"I asked for bilingual books because a lot of them might not have books at home," Bucher said.

Bucher also said students need warm clothing.

"I have students from Zimbabwe who don't have mittens or hats," Bucher said.

Bucher spoke highly of the campaign.

"It's absolutely wonderful and the students have been extremely generous," Bucher said.

All of the donations are represented by paper red mittens, currently on display in Laws Hall.

Barr said she encourages students and faculty members to get involved with the Red Mitten Campaign.

"We always need more help," she said.