Red and White improve in second indoor meet

Win Braswell, For The Miami Student

The Miami University women's indoor track and field team remained steadfast in their training over winter break, placing second at the Bowling Green State University Women's Team Challenge.

The 'Hawks' top-tier finish was due in large part to two top finishes and six runner-up performances.

Despite the several teams in attendance, it was essentially a two-team competition, with the Broncos of Western Michigan University winning the meet with 151.66 total points and Miami finishing with 122. The next highest point total was recorded by the Falcons of Bowling Green State University with a mere 70.33.

"We didn't put everyone in their main events but even still, in all areas, the ladies competed really well," Head Coach Kelly Phillips said.

The RedHawks boasted strong performances across the board, including a split win for senior pole-vaulters Hannah Tabler and Sarah Kinnaman. Both ladies hit the top mark of 3.65 meters/11-11.75 feet, each while setting new personal marks and stepping into the Miami record books, tying sophomore Kori Tatman for fourth place.

Miami also flexed its muscle in the shot put. Senior thrower Alexandra Roberts won the event with a throw of 15.09 meters/ 49-6.25 feet. To add to winning the event by over four feet, Roberts posted the second farthest throw in Miami indoor track and field history.

The team also fared very well in on-track competition. Senior sprinting standout Diona Graves placed second in the 200 meter dash, recording a 24.84 second time, while capturing second place in the 60 meter dash at 7.60 seconds. Graves helped the team, capturing 10 percent of the total team points.

"I am really happy with where I am right now," Graves said. "I'm starting this season running the 60 with the same time I finished last season."

Junior sprinter Layne Baggett placed fourth in the 60 meter at 7.85 seconds, in addition to senior Rachael Clay and freshman Gretchen Walter gaining three points, placing fifth (25.73) and sixth (25.89) in the 200 meter.

Freshman dual-sport athlete Charlotte Myers captured six points with a third place finish in the 400 meter dash, clocking in at 59.17 seconds. It was Myers' first individual collegiate race.

"I was a little nervous at first," Myers said. "I wasn't the happiest with my time, but third isn't bad. I'm just going to take this as a learning experience and move on."

The distance runners had strong performances as well, with senior Jillian Dickman and freshman Jess Hoover earning 14 points for their second (10:07.45) and third (10:15.95) place finishes in the 3,000 meter run. Freshman Elisa Frazier placed fourth in the mile run at 5:08.07, good enough to pick up four team points.

Miami broke into the top 10 in school history Saturday with a time of 3:50.10 in the 4x400 meter relay. The mark is eighth all-time in RedHawk history and helped earn a runner-up finish, falling to Western Michigan who posted a 3:49.97.

The 'Hawks hit the track next weekend in Bloomington, Ind., at Indiana University's Gladstein Invitational.