Red and White hosts Western Michigan

By Steve Perkins, Staff Writer

The No. 7 Miami University hockey team returns home this weekend to start a four game conference homestand. The 'Hawks kick it off with a series against Western Michigan University.

The RedHawks' rivalry with the Broncos dates back to the days of the CCHA.

"It's quite a rivalry for us and it's been that way for the last five years," head coach Enrico Blasi said. "It's really been elevated, too. We're playing them in the semifinals in the CCHA, in the finals in the CCHA and now in the NCHC. It's a real good rivalry and we're going to have to be ready to go."

Miami remained No. 7 in both national polls after a split on the road against No. 2/3 University of North Dakota. Captain and senior forward Austin Czarnik said it's a nice confidence boost.

"I think that just helps us realize we're a pretty good team," Czarnik said. "To go in there and split with the number two team in the country that's huge and the atmosphere they have; that's a big confidence builder for all of us, but we've got to come back here and play a tough Western Michigan team."

Blasi said preparation was important for the homestand.

"Well, I think we are getting the month of November, where it's a little bit of a grind," Blasi said. "[Against North Dakota] it was a couple heavyweights going at it. As far as momentum going into this week, we have to start preparing for a different opponent. Western plays equally as hard; they play in you face and you have to be ready for it."

Miami struggled a bit offensively Saturday, scoring one goal on 29 shots.

Czarnik said offensively, the team is looking to get a lot of shots this weekend.

"For us, I think it's just getting pucks to the net," Czarnik said. "I think we've done a good job with that we're starting to score more goals in the past two weekends, so we just have to keep getting pucks to the net."

Junior defenseman Chris Joyaux said the weekend would be about effort.

"Well, they play pretty tough so we need to match their compete level," Joyaux said. "Just out-work them down low so we can keep pucks out of our net."

The team is excited to come back home, but Blasi said it's important to maintain the energy level from last weekend.

"At home, you're used to everything that's around you right? So it's a little different, a little more comfortable," Blasi said. "Yet you have to play with that intensity we had on Friday and Saturday at home as well. And that's something we've tried to convey to our team and something I know our guys understand. We have to play with the same compete level at home as well as on the road."

Czarnik said it's a little different at home.

"Obviously, being here is a special feeling," Czarnik said. "Playing in front of all of our fans helps big time, but I think it's a great place to be."

Puck drop is set for 7:35 p.m. Friday and 7:05 p.m. Saturday.