Red and White head to MAC tournament

Drew McDonnell

The Miami University field hockey team will begin the fight for the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship title Nov. 5 in Mt. Pleasant, Mich.

Head Coach Jill Reeve is especially proud of her team for reaching the tournament.

"Winning the MAC championship tournament is one of the highest priorities for our team every year," Reeve said. "I am proud of this team for their consistent push toward their top performance and reaching their ultimate potential as a team. I think we have a good chance at seeing that this weekend at the MAC tournament."

Miami is the second seed in the MAC tournament and will play the winner of the game between third seed Ohio University and the sixth seed Ball State University.

The RedHawks shared the MAC season regular title with Kent State University, and both teams received byes into the semi-finals. The Golden Flashes will take on the winner of the Central Michigan University and Missouri State University game in the other semifinal.

During the past week the 'Hawks have worked hard to prepare for the upcoming tournament.

"We really need to focus on ourselves and everything that has brought us here to this point," Reeve said. "They are ready, prepared and excited for this. I can't wait to see what they can do."

Senior Christine Brightwell is excited to have one last chance at the MAC championship.

"This is our last year, our last chance to make what we can out of our opportunities," Brightwell said. "We welcome the pressure of keeping this team running smoothly together."

The winners of the two semifinal matches will face off in the championship game at 11 a.m. Nov. 7 in Mt. Pleasant, Mich.