Red and White go 2-2 in weekend visit to Michigan

Drew McDonnell, Staff Writer

The Miami University softball team started their weekend off unsuccessfully as they lost their doubleheader against Central Michigan University (CMU) Friday in Mt. Pleasant, Mich.

The RedHawks fell in the opener 5-3 and lost 8-5 in the nightcap. After two tough losses Friday, the Red and White redeemed themselves on Saturday as the team took on Eastern Michigan University (EMU) winning both games with scores of 6-0 and 5-3.

The weekend brought cold weather and high winds in Michigan, but the team did not let this affect them.

"The cold weather does not affect our team because we push it from our minds," sophomore Taylor Rice said.  "We recognize it and know we can't change it. We know the other team has to deal with the same weather and if it affects them, then we have an advantage over them."

The RedHawks were the first to score during the opener against CMU. Junior Jordan McElroy and senior Meghan Mawn hit back-to-back singles and freshman Allie Larrabee progressed due to an error by a Chippewa player. Senior Jenny McGivney walked which forced a run in for the 'Hawks.

During the bottom of the second inning, an error caused the Chippewas to take the lead 3-1. CMU didn't remain in the lead for long as McGivney and freshman Kayla Ledbetter both walked and junior Jessica Simpson loaded the bases with a hit. Freshman Kristy Arbour then hit a shot that sent McGivney and Ledbetter home, tying the game 3-3.

CMU scored again in the bottom of the fifth inning and again in the sixth to make the score 5-3. The RedHawks were unable to score again, which gave the Chippewas the win.

Miami started off well in the nightcap after senior Kathryn Russette put a run on the board for the Red and White. Things took a turn for the worst when errors in the following innings gave CMU the lead 2-1. The Chippewas continued to score runs and by the fourth inning the RedHawks were trailing 5-1.

During the fourth inning, the RedHawks were able to score another run off of McGivney, but CMU fired back by scoring three more runs bringing the score to 8-3.

The RedHawks did not allow the losses against CMU affect their games against the Eagles. McElroy led off the frame with a solo home run over the right field wall. Ledbetter followed with a walk. Russette doubled down the right field line to make it second and third with no out. Junior Daniela Torres then hit the ball right center and scored Ledbetter. Freshman Kirstie Fehrenbach followed with a single through the right side that brought home Russette and made it 3-0. McGivney hit a three-run home run over the left field wall to make it 6-0, as the RedHawks earned a much-needed victory over Eastern Michigan.

Larrabee contributes the team's success to the leadership skills the team possesses.

"We've been working on is focusing on ourselves and playing to our game and our strengths," Larrabee said. "We have a lot of leaders on the field like Jessica Simpson, Jenna McGivney and Dani Torres that help bring out the passion and energy in our defense."

During the second game on Sunday, Miami did a lot of damage during the second inning. Ledbetter drew a walk and Russette moved her over to second with a single to left center. Arbour got Miami on the board with a single down the left field line that scored Ledbetter, and a double by Daniela Torres brought home Russette. On the same play the catcher threw the ball away and allowed Torres to score and make it 4-0.

EMU scored during the bottom of the third but the RedHawks fired back with a run by Russette during the fourth inning making the final score 5-3.

The weekend split drops the 'Hawks to 18-17 overall and 3-6 in the Mid-American-Conference.