Put the pressure of making money on hold and focus on your passion

The following piece, written by the editorial editors, reflects the majority opinion of the editorial board.

At this point in our young lives, most of us have never felt the urgency and realness of making money. We may put a dent in our summer earnings with spontaneous shopping trips and sushi lunches, but we don't yet live in the world of financial reality.

Yes, that means all of us that may have called mom and dad yesterday about our rent being due.

So before we enter that phase filled with bills and true responsibility, it might be time to consider our thoughts on money. Don't worry, this isn't a lecture on 401Ks or smart investments; it's simply the posing of a question: should making money be our number one priority?

At Miami, and perhaps many similar universities, there are certain messages telling us that it should be.

With not-so-subtle reminders about "return on investment" and stacks of loans, waiting for graduation day, there's a rising pressure to find a career that pays well. Whether from the red banners on High Street or in the voices of worried parents, some students start running the numbers.

When first-years step onto campus, some instantly let money dictate their majors and ultimately, their career paths.

The thought process might be that if you don't feel drawn to a particular field, why not let money make the decision for you.

Especially if you come from a wealthy background, why would you want to continue a lifestyle that deviates from that? Why not pursue a field that sets you up for a comfortable life?

There is nothing wrong with desiring wealth and stability. Pursuing a well-paying job is practical and responsible and follows the wisdom of virtually every professor and parent around us.

But before you follow that path, the Editorial Board invites you to think about why you chose that major or that career path.

If money is the main factor that comes to mind, maybe it's time for a change.

There's plenty of money-related clichés out in the world, and we tend to agree with their basic sentiment. The number in your bank account isn't everything, especially at our age. In your twenties, you can make stupid choices, find out what you hate and stumble on something you absolutely love. You don't need a fancy house on a family-friendly neighborhood just yet. This is the time to not let money drive every decision you make.

Take it from a bunch of journalism and communication majors who accept that our futures are not exactly destined for fortune. When you get into journalism, there's a rush of grown-ups getting in line to convince you to take up a different career.

Even in our limited experience with unpaid internships, we've learned the financial struggles that lie ahead because of our chosen industry.

But here's the thing: we wouldn't have it any other way. Like any Humanities or Arts major, many of us won't have six-figure salaries after college, and that doesn't bother us.

We would rather follow our passions than follow the dollar signs. And we know we can make do, probably with the help our accounting-savvy friends.

It's easy to get pulled into a money making mindset and leave behind that long lost love of ceramics or History.

But take a moment and reconsider. Don't choose finance over teaching and engineering over English literature just because of a few extra zeros glowing in your eyes.

Choose something because at the core of it all, it lights you up. Finding that should be your number one priority, not necessarily the check that comes in the mail later.