Purdue Invitational Preview

By Alex McKeon, For The Miami Student

The Miami University women's tennis team continues a stretch of fall tennis this weekend at the Purdue Invitational. The event follows the successful USAFA invitational, where the RedHawks won four singles flights and two doubles flights.

Some of the most notable performances came from freshman Erin Rodriguez, who had an undefeated weekend. Other impact performers included the seniors, Alix Thurman and Christine Guerrazzi, who both were able to wrap up their consolation and regular flight, respectively.

In total the RedHawks went 18-3 in singles and 8-1 in doubles.

The Purdue Invitational is the final step before the ITA regionals begin later this month.

"I am looking to see the girls, roll up their sleeves and fight and run for every point and never give up," assistant coach Ricardo Rosas said. "Take their chances on the big points, and trust their game plan.

The RedHawks face tough competition in West Lafayette, going up against the likes Purdue University, the University of Michigan, Texas Tech University, the University of Louisville and the University of Memphis. However, assistant coach Ricardo Rosas knows what it will take.

"Great tennis players find solutions in crucial moments of the game," Rosas said. "Mental toughness, that's what it comes down to. This is something that we are working on. To have a chance to beat the good teams, you have to trust your game in big moments of the match."

The RedHawks begin play Oct. 3 and play through Oct. 5.