Pulley Tower: the man behind the music

Stephanie Petropoulos

For most students at Miami University, the walk to class is spent listening to an iPod, talking on the phone or chatting with a friend. Even with these daily distractions, students cannot help but notice the sound of bells playing familiar tunes throughout Miami's campus.

"For the first time, I have a class at Bachelor (Hall) and I couldn't help but hear what I'm almost positive was 'Here Comes the Sun' being played by the bell tower," junior Olivia Dolan said. "And ever since, it seems like I've noticed different songs are being played all the time."

The man responsible for the carillon, known to most as the bell set in Pulley Tower, is Randy Runyon, who has been a professor of French at Miami since 1977. Since 2001, Runyon has also been the sole university carillonneur, responsible for the operation of the tower and the songs heard across campus at various times throughout the day.

"The carillon has a repertoire of about 180 songs on its automatic play list," Runyon said. "I chose them and recorded them onto its computer memory a few years ago."

Although the carillon does play songs automatically, Runyon occasionally plays songs live.

His knowledge of music comes from his experience as a pianist who plays in public and as a church organist.

Already a professor here at Miami, Runyon was asked to take on the role of carillonneur.

"Although I was not involved in the planning stage for the carillon, I was at some point asked if I would be interested in doing it," Runyon said.

Even though the songs are played automatically by the computer that Runyon programmed, his position as university carillonneur several other responsibilities as well.

"My job entails making sure the carillon is in good working order, changing the songs that are played automatically, changing the schedule of automatic play depending on what semester we're in, and playing occasional live concerts," Runyon said.

Constructed in 2001, the Pulley Tower was named after 1958 Miami graduate Verlin L. Pulley. The tower, designed in the same Georgian style as the rest of Miami, was a gift from William Pulley, his son, a 1958 graduate of Miami.

Runyon said he enjoys playing different songs in the impressive building.

"I don't have a favorite song to play because I'm easily bored," Runyon said. "I'm always looking for something new to perform in my live concerts. Not every song will sound good on a carillon, but I'll be glad to give some new ones a try, particularly in the live concerts."

Runyon is enthusiastic about the upcoming concerts, which will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 28 and Sunday, Oct. 12. Concerts are held at least three times in the spring, summer and fall.

Set in such a high-traffic area, some Miami students feel lucky to have a daily musical selection walking to class.

"I really like hearing the bells on my walk through campus," junior Nancy Valentine said. "I think the variety of what's played is something that's unique about Miami that few other campuses have."

Students who have yet to hear the repertoire of the carillon can listen five times a day on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays or three times a day Tuesdays and Thursdays. Songs are also played nine times between 10:50 a.m. and 8:50 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The carillon plays for about 20 minutes at 5:31 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.