PSE to host dance marathon

Kristin Kepplinger

As Miami University celebrates its bicentennial homecoming, some students are hoping to build the foundation for a new campus tradition.

Pi Sigma Epsilon (PSE), a co-ed business fraternity, will present the Miami University Dance Marathon to benefit the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Saturday, Oct. 24.

From noon until midnight, dancers, volunteers and student organizations will hit the dance floor in the basement of Phillips Hall to raise money while dancing, listening to live music and playing games, according to the marathon's Web site.

Vice President of Social Responsibility for PSE Andy Sauer said he was inspired to revive the event at Miami after seeing the success of a similar event at Bowling Green State University.

"When I came to Miami, I wished there was an event that the whole campus was involved in," Sauer said. "The dance marathon at BG really took over the campus, so that's the goal for us."

Dance marathons have come and gone from campus since 1920, according to Sauer. He said he hopes that by making this year's event bigger, more successful, and above all, more fun, the Miami Dance Marathon will be here to stay.

Vice President of Internal Operations for the dance marathon Erin Haggerty expressed similar sentiments.

"We want to introduce it this year as a fun event that everyone wants to participate in," Haggerty said. "We want it to become a tradition."

Haggerty said future goals are inspired by Penn State University's dance marathon, which raised $7.49 million last year for the Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Children's Hospital.

"In five years, we hope to be raising millions," Haggerty said.

The planning committee is primarily reaching out to the Greek community to find dancers but, Sauer said the group wants every student to participate.

"We hope everyone on campus stops by at some point," Sauer said. "We don't want it to just be the business school or Greek life."

While wanting every student to attend, Sauer said the Dance Marathon is not intended to compete with homecoming events scheduled that day.

The event planning process has already brought a diverse group of students together as PSE recruits non-members to help. Sauer said a variety of organizations have been very supportive and enthusiastic about being involved in the Dance Marathon.

"Someday we hope to take the event outside of PSE so everyone on campus has an opportunity to participate in and plan the event," Haggerty said.

Junior Christyna Genovese, who is not a member of PSE, volunteered to serve as director of entertainment for the Dance Marathon because she wanted to support the children and families that seek treatment at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

"These kids are just phenomenal," Genovese said. "They really deserve proper healthcare. Every dollar we raise is a dollar well spent."

Genovese confirmed the Miami cheerleaders, dance team, The Cheezies, The Misfitz, the co-ed hip-hop dance team and Vision Dance Company will perform.

The Dance Marathon will feature DJ Greek and DJ Sona, a club swim team dunk tank, inflatable games and free food, Haggerty said.

"The bottom line is that it's for a great cause, it's going to be a lot of fun, it's here to stay, and everyone is welcome," Sauer said.

Prospective dancers can register at www.MUDM.org and will receive assistance in generating donations. Donations can also be made at the event.