Project will widen intersection

Bethany Bruner, News Editor

Oxford City Council approved a resolution at the regular Tuesday meeting that would move the improvement project at the State Route 73 and State Route 177 intersection forward.

The resolution, which passed unanimously, would allow the city to sign a contract through the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT). The contract would allow the project to begin this summer.

Mike Dreisbach, Oxford service director, said the project is the first one to come to fruition from the Northwest Butler County Transportation Study. The project will be funded from $20 million in federal earmarks designated for these projects.

Dreisbach told council the City of Oxford will be the local sponsor for the project despite the intersection in question being outside city limits. Dreisbach also told council there is some risk involved in the city being the sponsor for the project. Because the project is located near the large water mane that transfers water from the Seven Mile Aquifer to Oxford, the water main may need to be moved.

Dreisbach explained that it is believed the construction can be done without moving the main, which would cost approximately $100,000.

Dreisbach did say the possibility of moving the water main still exists and told council to anticipate a potential move of a section of the main.

Another risk the project has deals with the monetary aspect, according to Dreisbach. If the cost of the project goes over the estimates, the city will have to pay a percentage of the overages. Dreisbach said this could be paid for with additional earmark funding, not cash, but that this would limit the amount of earmark money available for future projects.

Several council members expressed concern that Milford and Oxford Townships had not solidly committed to helping pay overages.

Council also passed a resolution putting a six-month moratorium on Internet or sweepstakes cafes. The resolution is aimed at gaming machines that are legal in Ohio through a loophole in existing law. Councilman Ken Bogard had requested the moratorium at the Feb. 15 meeting so the city could wait and see what the Ohio Attorney General does with the issue.

Bogard said other cities in the area have passed similar moratoriums.

In other action, council passed an ordinance allowing the city to annex about a half-acre of roadway near the new Talawanda High School construction. The ordinance is necessary to add a temporary traffic signal this summer, in accordance with an agreement with the Talawanda school district.

In a work session prior to the meeting, council discussed ideas about energy rates with Glenwood Energy. No action was taken at the work session and legislation will be presented on the issue at the April 5 meeting.

City Manager Doug Elliott also mentioned the city will be monitoring the progression of Governor John Kasich's budget through the Ohio General Assembly. Kasich's budget calls for cuts to local governments over the next two fiscal years.

Tuesday's meeting also featured a presentation of photos from the filming of The Ides of March from the Oxford Visitor's and Convention Bureau. Talawanda Middle School student Jacob Schlichter put together the presentation.

City Council will meet again in a work session 7:30 p.m. March 22 to discuss ideas for the use of the current Talawanda High School once construction is finished on the new building. The work session is scheduled to last one hour.

The next regular meeting of the Oxford City Council will be 7:30 p.m. April 5.