Professors honored by peers with Distinguished Scholar Award

Erica Griffith, For The Miami Student

This year's recipients of Miami University's Distinguished Scholar Award are professors Ann Hagerman, biochemistry, and Sheila Croucher, American studies. Recommendations were submitted by colleagues and looked at by the Committee on Faculty Research.

Ann Hagerman, surprised by the achievement, was honored and "pleased that other people have recognized what I've done."

She said she didn't apply for the award, but put together a comprehensive packet two years ago, thinking, "Well, that went into a black hole."

However, her accomplishments were recognized this year as she is awarded a $2,000 grant for furthering her investigations. Because of her consistent and active research since 1982, Hagerman's productivity stands out. She admitted there were many obstacles along the way making it easy to lose enthusiasm, but her resilience in research prevailed.

Hagerman's well-known work in tannin chemistry includes trying to combine detailed chemical information with compounds in the natural world. Currently, her work involves all the different levels included in how compounds impact biology. She describes how some people study specific aspects of chemistry, "but mine affect many different systems."

Her studies include "lots of different facets of the same question."

In the future, Hagerman hopes to be an editor of scientific writings. She explained that there is a constant need for people interested in communicating technical knowledge to a technical audience, rather than communicating to the general public.

"I hope to finish out my career feeling like I continued to be active in my research and mentoring my students," Hagerman said.

She places a huge emphasis on the importance of students learning to carry out their own research. She describes Miami as "a place where you can do that" because of all the unique features and disciplines the school has to offer.

Sheila Croucher, author of three books and a variety of other articles, was "pleasantly surprised" by her nomination.

She said she felt "very honored" to receive the award and was grateful that the community appreciated the interdisciplinary nature of the work she has been doing. She believes she was chosen for the award because her creative work "in some ways falls through the cracks."

A question she often explores is "What does it mean to belong?" Questions of identity and belonging fascinate her and she investigates how these concepts cut across disciplinary boundaries.

Topics that reverse conventional assumptions are Croucher's specialty. For example, on a trip to central Mexico in the summer of 2006, she came across an American settlement and instantly became fascinated by this seemingly turnaround notion. She addresses this trend in her book, The Other Side of the Fence: American Migrants in Mexico (2009).

This occurrence is not happening solely in Mexico, which merely seems like the tip of an iceberg. This instance seems like the tip of an iceberg because it is not solely happening in Mexico. According to Croucher, this could even be an increasing trend in Mexico and in other places.

Never bored with her work, Croucher expresses how scholarship is an important part of what Miami professors do. In her own words, she describes a big theme at Miami: "scholarship and teaching to inspire students." She said she receives immediate gratification from teaching.

But with scholarship and research, she echoes Hagerman in saying "it's a lonely endeavor at times."

There is often lag time between the initial work and end results, which can be frustrating intellectually. However, the hard work is always worth it in the end.

Croucher said she acknowledges that it is "nice to have your peers recognize and appreciate that work that we all do."