Professor documents Columbus Day Dispute

Samantha Callender, For The Miami Student

After a lead that "something was going to happen," Leighton Peterson, an assistant professor of anthropology at Miami University, decided to capture the essence of it all on film. It was 2006 at Colorado College when Peterson first caught wind of the Italian American and Native American dispute over the Columbus Day Holiday.

The following year, Peterson came back with funds and a film crew, ready to capture the story and "let (opposing sides) tell it," Peterson said.

Columbus Day Legacy, a documentary produced by Peterson and directed by Navajo filmmaker Bennie Klien, takes place in the center of the Columbus Day Parade in Denver, where Italian Americans and Native Americans clash over the holiday.

The documentary explains how many Italian Americans revere it as an important part of their history, revering and praising the good works of Christopher Columbus, according to Peterson. The film also highlights how many Native Americans find offense in the celebration of the holiday they feel condones the genocide and mistreatment of the indigenous peoples by Christopher Columbus, Peterson said. Putting the viewer in the center of the disputes, the documentary chronicles the tensions that arise between the Italian Americans and Native Americans. From the protest to the violence that ensues, the film highlights the racial and cultural tensions that are the central focus of the dispute.

Peterson and his crew present both sides of the argument, adding commentary and interviews with people on both sides of the issue. Allowing each side to tell their story was crucial to the film, said Peterson.

Rayna Rogers, a sophomore who attended a special viewing of the film said, "One thing I liked about the film was that it showed where (historically) both the Italian Americans and Native Americans were coming from in their stance on the issue of celebrating the holiday. It didn't give off any type of bias to me. It just let both sides give their story -- which I think was kind of powerful."

Peterson said the film goes further than merely telling a story. "This film is deeper than just telling of the Columbus Day Parade (and celebration)," Peterson said. "It also tells of race and history. It raises the question of whether or not you can say ‘it's just history?' or is there something deeper?"

First-year Stephanie Reed also viewed the documentary.

"I never even knew that such controversy surrounding the topic," she said. "It made me want to go discover even more history about Columbus and what exactly it was that he did."

Peterson produced a film prior to Columbus Day Legacy entitled Weaving Worlds which is a documentary that shows the cultural and economic significance of the art of weaving Navajo rugs. According to Peterson, he lets the films tell the story to an audience where "All (I) can do is pique the interest."

Columbus Day Legacy will be airing on public television on Kentucky Education Television and other local stations. Check local listings for times. It also will be available soon on DVD and is available online. Further information about the documentary can be found at http://www.nativetelecom.org/columbus_day_legacy.