Presidential house faces delays in construction

Shannon Depenbrock

Faulty plumbing and unsupported floors are just a few of the obstacles contractors working on Lewis Place - the building that serves as the home of Miami University presidents - have faced in the renovations that have been underway since June.

Yet despite setbacks, Jim Haley, associate vice president of physical facilities and the individual who proposed renovations on the home three years ago, believes Miami President David Hodge and his family will able to move in by April 15, which is on schedule.

"Even though we have faced some difficulties, because it is Lewis Place and because of the upcoming graduation activities, we are still attempting to get the project completed by the initial deadline," Haley said.

The renovations, commissioned by the board of trustees and under the supervision of general contractors Valor Construction, first encountered delays when the addition being added to the house for catering and kitchen services was found to be lacking in support.

"The north side of the house virtually has no foundation under it, so if (the builders) would have added on, as the original renovation plans called for, it could have pulled the whole house down," said Valerie Hodge, university ambassador and wife of President David Hodge.

Another problem occurred when a workman's foot went through the floor while he was working on plumbing. This signaled unsupported floors, caused by inefficient pipe installation in the 1920s. As a result, completely new flooring support will need to be added, Valerie Hodge explained.

"It's lucky we didn't attempt to put anything heavy on the second floor," Valerie Hodge said. "It could have fallen right through, just like the Truman's piano did in the White House."

Since renovations began in June, the Hodges have been living just two homes away, at the Lottie Moon House.

"The Lottie Moon House is wonderful and is still close to campus, so it only takes President Hodge three minutes to walk to (Roudebush Hall)," Valerie Hodge said. "But we are looking forward to moving into Lewis Place."

The renovations mark the first update to the house in 35 years and the first major renovation to be completed since 1920, when indoor plumbing was installed.

"I noticed that Lewis Place was beginning to show its age." Haley said. "It was having some maintenance issues. With the transition of (university) presidents, and the house being vacant, this was the most appropriate time to begin renovations."

The Hodges have also enjoyed settling into a lake house they recently purchased in Grand Lake St. Mary's, in St. Mary's, Ohio.

"Since we sold our house in Seattle we have been looking forward to investing in a home of our own in Ohio, and this house is wonderful, it sits out on a point overlooking the lake," Valerie Hodge said. "Since it is relatively close we can go for a weekend getaway, and we will definitely take advantage of it in the summer."

Although the Hodges are excited about their recent purchase, they are eager to move into Lewis Place. What Valerie Hodge is looking forward to the most is the additional space that Lewis Place will provide to host the certain events traditionally held at the president's home.

"We feel as if we have been missing out on a lot of events that are traditions for the university and community, because we haven't been able to host them while the renovations are taking place," Valerie Hodge said. "We don't want people to feel as if they are missing out, too."

If all goes according to plan, the renovations should be completed April 15.

"We have saved Lewis Place through these renovations," Hodge said. "The builders are doing the work as fast and as efficientlyas possible."