President of humanitarian org to remind students of present-day slavery

Stacey Skotzko and Bobby Pierce

There are 27 million slaves in the world today, more than anytime in world history.

And the Center for American and World Cultures (CAWC) hopes that bringing Kevin Bales, president of the nongovernmental organization Free the Slaves, to Miami University will shed light on that fact, highlighted on www.freetheslaves.net.

"We wanted to start the year with a strong cup of coffee, a strong jolt," said Mary Jane Berman, director of the CAWC.

This Thursday afternoon event kicks off the CAWC's annual fall lecture series titled, Diversity: Engaging your Global Future Now.

The presentation, titled "Ending Slavery," shares the name with Bales' newest book, outlining a 25-year plan to eradicate slavery. Bales earned international fame with his 1999 book, Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy, which sought to raise awareness of the world's 27 million people still living in slavery.

Berman said Bales was at Miami about 10 years ago, and she explained that Free the Slaves has a special connection to Miami-an alumnae helped start the organization. Jolene Smith, also of Free the Slaves, has also spoken at Miami in the past. Berman said Miami had a Free the Slaves chapter in the past, and she hopes this visit will spur the organization of that group once again.

"I don't want to loose touch with this organization," she said.

Free the Slaves pushes involvement in eradicating slavery-showing visitors to its Web site ways in which to submit newspaper articles and screen documentaries. Berman said she hoped this speech would inspire students to act and become involved with this social problem-not simply listen to a lecture. Bales will discuss what not only students, but also the government and international organizations, can do to change this often unknown worldwide problem.

Senior Katie Hu, a student on past committees involved with organizing the CAWC's series, said the committee typically picks one centralized topic and broadens it to include more facets of the university.

"We like to try to invite people (to campus) who students would be interested in," Hu said. "People on the committee include people from all different areas on campus, from Western to the art department."

Several classes are encouraging attendance to this event. John Medrick, a junior enrolled in Latin American studies, plans on attending the end of the speech, due to class conflict, and the post dinner.

"I hope to get my eyes opened to the slave trade in Latin America," Medrick said.

Bales will be speaking at 4:30 p.m., Aug. 30 in Hall Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public.