President Hodge delivers annual address

Hodge held his second annual university address Thursday afternoon in Laws Hall.  -Olivia Otten/The Miami Student
Hodge held his second annual university address Thursday afternoon in Laws Hall. -Olivia Otten/The Miami Student

Laura Houser-Campus Editor

In the closing remarks of his second annual address, Miami University President David Hodge spoke of ideas that spanned both the present and future of the university.

"Miami is about to celebrate its 200th year, an enviable and proud moment in our history," Hodge said. "It is a great moment to look back to see where we have been; it is an even greater moment to look forward to where we want to go."

It was in this vein that Hodge spoke to an audience of mainly faculty and staff Sept. 6 in 100 Laws Hall at his yearly address of the university.

In it were plans of improving upon Miami's current level of academic excellence, aims to become a national model for undergraduate education and explanations on what he calls an "engaged university."

Hodge first laid out what he hopes to become Miami's five-year strategic goals, written and finalized by the presidential executive committee in February.

The goals, Hodge said, are not particularly new to the university, but are rather an extension of what the university is already doing.

"(The goals) are kind of a road map for the university," said Student Body President Jens Sutmöller. "They're inspirational as well as logical, sound as they are studied. Hodge is the man with the plan."

The first goal in this plan-one that Hodge stressed throughout the speech-focused on making Miami's undergraduate experience the "best in the country."

According to Hodge, this process involves cultivating standards of high intellect and character in all Miami students.

Already, Hodge pointed out that Miami graduates are noted by employers for being well educated, having a strong work ethic and strong moral values, as well as a high level of initiative-a tradition he wants to continue.

"The defining hallmark of a Miami education is an intense focus on both the intellectual and personal development of our undergraduates, achieved in a large part by an emphasis on the partnership between academic life and student affairs," Hodge said.

Other goals include continuing the push for excellence in the graduate programs offered, as well as a drive for other "scholarly accomplishments," particularly faculty research that can improve the classroom experience.

"Professors who are at the intellectual frontiers of their respective disciplines ... provide exceptional learning and discovery opportunities that define the Miami engaged undergraduate experience," Hodge said.

Speaking for the broader Miami community, Hodge said he also wants to increase the impact of the regional campuses on their communities, as well as improve the future of Ohio by providing educational and economic opportunities for the region and state.

More specifically, Hodge expressed the desire to improve Miami's national profile by continuing to communicate its mission and goals to prospective students, employers, government leaders and the general public.

Hodge also wants to make Miami a more attractive employer for faculty and staff, as well as maximizing the university's resource base.

Finally, Hodge pushed for a "culture of giving" in order to increase the number of donors-particularly alumni.

He also outlined a variety of other specific academic objectives, including completing the Top 25 Initiative, as well as the intention of becoming the national model for Greek communities and student athletics-particularly as it pertains to graduation rates and GPAs.

Hodge also said that Miami plans on embracing racial differences by increasing the proportion of minority students to at least match that of Ohio's.

He applauded the efforts already being used to achieve these goals, including the sophomore living requirement.

The speech was well received by those in the audience, including Dennis Roberts, associate vice president for student affairs.

"I think it provided a vision for our future that, I think, everyone in that room can be excited about," Roberts said.

There were several changes with this year's event, primarily with the title of the event changed from the State of the University to the President's Annual Address.

According to Claire Wagner, assistant director of university communications, the new title represented a move toward progress and change.

"Hodge chose this ... because it emphasizes where we're going, instead of where we are," Wagner said.

The date of the speech also moved a few weeks into the semester to better accommodate students, faculty and any members of the community who wished to attend, Wagner said.

Traditionally, the speech has been held as part of the faculty assembly meeting the week before school started.

The speech was available for students in a variety of mediums, including streaming Internet feed, live coverage on Miami's television channel, as well as locations to watch the speech on both regional campuses.