Staff

Male hits pole and tries to duck officer

At approximately 4:30 a.m. March 6, Oxford Police Department (OPD) officers responded to the scene of a car crash at the Red Cloud Court Apartments.

According to police reports, a vehicle had struck a utility pole at the front of the complex and fled to the rear of the complex.

Officers reportedly found a vehicle in the complex with heavy front damage. Officers reportedly found the registered owner of the vehicle to have an address in the complex.

Officers reportedly noticed a male looking out the window from the owner's listed apartment, who reportedly ducked behind the curtains when he was noticed. Officers went to the apartment and a resident reportedly said the driver of the vehicle had just gotten home. The male reportedly came out of his room and was identified as Miami University senior Sun Baek, 28. When asked what had happened to his car, Baek reportedly told officers nothing had happened. Baek reportedly admitted to officers he had consumed alcohol.

Baek reportedly volunteered to come outside and told officers he was "going too fast to turn and hit the pole."Officers reportedly noticed Baek had red, glassy eyes and the odor of alcohol on his breath. Baek reportedly performed poorly on field sobriety tests and was placed under arrest. At OPD, Baek reportedly blew a .16 on a Breathalyzer test.

He was charged with two counts of operating a vehicle under the influence and failure to maintain reasonable control.

Minor starts fire trying to steal gas

At around 1 p.m. Monday, Oxford Police Department officers responded to a car fire at 5017 College Corner Pike.

According to police reports, a 16-year-old male inadvertently started a fire in an attempt to siphon gas from a wrecked Ford truck.The male reportedly punctured a hole in the gas tank with a screwdriver and a spark ignited the tank. The male reportedly escaped with only a small burn on his arm and called 911. The truck is a total loss and five other vehicles reportedly sustained damage from the heat of the fire. Two of the vehicles with damage were reportedly Miami University Motorpool vans.

The fire also reportedly melted telephone lines and Cincinnati Bell was alerted.