Staff, The Miami Student

Driver receives OVI after getting flat tire

At around 2:30 a.m. Saturday, an Oxford Police Department (OPD) officer at Collins and Main streets reportedly witnessed a vehicle moving at a high rate of speed on Beech Street lose control while turning onto Collins Street.

The vehicle reportedly struck the curb and sustained a flat tire, but continued down the street.

The officer also reportedly witnessed an individual jump out of a rear door of the moving vehicle, rolling several times on the ground before running off.

The officer reportedly stopped the vehicle in the parking lot of Patterson's Café.

The driver, later identified as Caleb Crooks, 20, reportedly told the officer he had been driving erratically because he was fleeing males who had attempted to start a fight at Brick Street Bar.

Crooks reportedly had the odor of alcohol on his breath, slurred speech and bloodshot eyes.

The officer reportedly asked Crooks if he had been drinking, and he admitted to drinking six beers at Brick Street.

Crooks was taken into custody after refusing a field sobriety test.

A passenger in the vehicle, later identified as Danniel Huston, 19, reportedly also had the odor of alcohol on his breath, slurred speech and bent glasses with a missing lens.

Huston reportedly told police his glasses were broken during a fight at Brick Street. When asked if he had been drinking, Huston reportedly admitted to drinking 10 beers.

The officer reportedly asked why the second passenger had jumped out of the moving vehicle, but Huston said he did not know.

At OPD, Crooks reportedly refused a breath test before being cited for operating a vehicle while intoxicated and underage intoxication.

Huston was cited for underage intoxication.

Visiting female student passes out in residence

At around 12:15 a.m. Sunday, Oxford Police Department officers were dispatched to 100 E. Collins St. in response to an intoxicated female.

When officers arrived, they reportedly found a female lying on the floor breathing but unresponsive to verbal stimuli.

The female was reportedly "slightly responsive" when an officer shook her and reportedly did not have identification on her person.

The female, later identified as The Ohio State University student Victoria Russ, 18, reportedly cursed at officers when they asked her name.

According to police reports, Russ had slurred speech and a strong odor of alcohol on her breath.

The life squad was reportedly called, and Russ was transported to McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital.

Residents reportedly told officers they were "hanging out" when Russ ran into their house and passed out on the floor without saying anything.

As officers were exiting the residence, two males and a female reported they had lost a friend fitting the description of Russ and helped to identify her.

Russ was cited for underage intoxication and disorderly conduct.