Staff

Get back 'ear':  Fighter allegedly resists arrest

At 2:02 a.m. Saturday, an OPD officer was in his cruiser at the intersection of High and Poplar Streets when he witnessed an aggressive, white male shouting out obscenities at a group of men. The male was being actively restrained by his friends, according to OPD.

From the cruiser, the officer put the spotlight on the man, who turned and looked right at the officer. The wide-eyed man hesitated for a fraction of a second before bounding out of the beam down the street, OPD said. The officer was pursuing junior Andrew Clendenen when he witnessed Clendenen punch a man in the back of the ear. According to the officer, Clendenen approached the man, who was not facing him, and swung. Clendenen landed another punch, sending the man to the ground. The officer reached Clendenen before a third punch could be thrown, OPD said.

The officer tackled Clendenen and found himself on top of the suspect, Clendenen staring directly into his eyes. Clendenen was ordered to place his hands behind his back, which he refused to do, according to OPD. A struggle ensued to pin the bellicose man, which ended in his continued refusal to give the officer his hands. With the help of a second officer Clendenen was cuffed.

The instant Clendenen was restrained, he began spouting verbal abuse "too slurred and incoherent to understand," OPD said. This tirade continued until he passed out and began vomiting on himself at OPD. He was cited for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. He was taken to McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital, OPD said.

Officer wrestles resisting student onto his cruiser

At 12:17 a.m. Sunday, an OPD officer was in a marked cruiser traveling north on North Campus Avenue when he noticed a male walking in the 300 block with what appeared to be a blue and silver can in hand, OPD said.

The officer pulled his cruiser to the side of the road, at which point first-year Julian Clark Gregory III of Aspen, Colo. immediately dropped a sealed 12 oz. can of Keystone Light on the ground, OPD said. The officer then ordered Gregory to stop. The officer went to retrieve the beer can as he held onto Gregory's sleeve. He could feel Gregory begin to pull away and ordered him to stop. "I am stopping," Gregory said as he continued to not stop, OPD said.

Gregory hastily pulled away northbound and refused commands to stop, OPD said. The officer eventually grabbed Gregory around the waist and positioned him on the hood of the cruiser. The officer could feel Gregory's muscles tense up as the suspect pulled his arms away from behind his back, according to OPD. As Gregory still refused to cooperate, the officer called in an additional unit with whose help he was able to subdue the suspect.

Once Gregory was subdued, it became evident he had urinated. When asked, Gregory answered, "I had to go to the bathroom, so I decided to go in my pants." When asked about the beer, Gregory claimed he had been at a nearby party and was holding it for a friend. The same friend, Gregory said, had told him to drop the beer and run if he saw a cop, according to OPD. Gregory said he was just following his friend's instructions and his own "gut reaction."

Gregory was cited with underage offenses, obstructing official business and resisting arrest. He was taken to Butler County Jail, according to OPD.

double-double with 38 assists and 12 digs, and senior libero Madison Hardy had 24 digs while Reiswig got 11 kills on her way to being named to the All-Tournament team.

"Without Below, we had a difficult time with our ball control and passing," head coach Carolyn Condit said. "Our serving errors hurt us [against Northwestern]. We struggled with some high level teams. I believe we learned a lot against good competition. [Freshman middle hitter] Paige Hill was able to play some this weekend and played great when she was in. Riley's ability to play defense was encouraging and Reiswig played solid the whole weekend."

Hardy spoke of what can be taken away from this weekend moving forward.

"It was a learning experience," she said. "We saw what our weaknesses are and we saw what great role players we have, especially Reiswig. We faced more experienced, stronger teams this weekend. We weren't as good as we can be and we'll learn to fight. There's strong competition in the MAC, so the teams we faced will have prepared us for them."

The RedHawks make their return to Oxford this weekend as they open MAC play against Bowling Green State University 7 p.m. Thursday and Western Michigan University 5 p.m. Saturday.