Staff

Officer makes arrest with taser after fight

Around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oxford Police Department (OPD) officers were dispatched to a fight occurring on West High Street. Witnesses said they spotted brass knuckles during the fight. The group of people surrounding the fight pointed to a male who was the suspect.

The officer pointed at the other male with a taser in hand and ordered him to go to his cruiser. During the investigation, the suspect had an odor of alcoholic beverage on him. Witnesses reported the suspect's friend bumped the victim who started the fight leading the suspect to pull out his silver set of brass knuckles that were later found on the ground.

The victim also told police the suspect threatened physical harm. The suspect was identified as Caleb Botkins. Botkins was charged with aggravated menacing and underage persons.

Fight breaks out at bar, injuries result

Around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oxford Police Department (OPD) officers responded to a reported assault at Brick Street Bar and Grill. The victim was on the dance floor when he was checked aggressively on the shoulder.

The suspect then made eye contact and confronted the victim. The suspect hit him above the face causing a cut above the victim's eye. Both males were escorted out. When the officer arrived, he talked to an employee of the bar who said the victim started walking down South Poplar Street.

The officers found the male, stopped him and saw a cut and blood on his face. The Oxford Fire Department came to treat the victim and said he needed to go to the hospital. Later that night, the victim arrived at the station and told the officer he wanted to press charges and report the incident.