Staff

An OVI after a long, hard day of 'work'

At 2:11 a.m. Saturday, an OPD officer was traveling south on South Poplar Street toward East Spring Street when she noticed a red sedan that appeared to be speeding eastbound on East Spring.

She followed the vehicle onto South Campus Avenue, where she stopped and clocked the car's speed at 35 mph, confirming her suspicion that the driver was not observing the posted limit of 25, OPD said.

The vehicle, alone on South Campus Avenue, quickly accelerated right onto Chestnut Street and hooked a hard left onto Arrowhead Drive. The officer followed the car into the first parking lot off Arrowhead where it had stopped, according to OPD. She activated her overhead lights and stopped behind the car, which was left in reverse.

When speaking with the driver, the officer immediately noticed his speech was slurred. The 35-year-old man, residing on Arrowhead Drive, claimed he was returning from work, OPD said. He later amended this, and said he had finished work an hour prior, but had stayed to fill out paperwork. At this point, the officer noticed a six-pack of beer perched on the back driver's side seat.

The suspect said he had consumed one beer, and agreed to take field sobriety tests. He failed, and was taken to OPD where he submitted to a breath test. His BAC was measured at .139. Had he truly only consumed one beer, his BAC should have been in the neighborhood of .02, according to OPD.

He was cited for speed and OVI, according to OPD.

Mirror, mirror, on the ground: Gimme a ride

At 4:14 a.m. Saturday, dispatch received a 911 call from a resident in the 500 block of Sandra Dr., claiming an unknown person was ringing their doorbell.

By the time of arrival, OPD had received an identical complaint from a resident down the street. The suspect was described as a blonde female in her early 20s, wearing a black skirt.

As the officer spoke with a resident, he heard a loud breaking sound from Glenview Drive. Through trees, he saw the OPD cruiser parked on Glenview had been vandalized.

The cruiser's driver's side mirror hung flaccid, dangling by electrical wire, and the windshield wiper was bent up and out at a 90-degree angle, in some perverse salute.

He recognized the first-year female matching the description given, and asked what she was doing. She said she was trying to get into the car, and needed to get someone's attention to get home.

The officer found her Miami ID sitting on the cruiser's hood beside her iPhone. Her New York driver's license confirmed her identity and age of 19.

The female was scraped and covered in mud. She wore a green wristband from CJ's bar and seemed disoriented, speaking through a heavy slur, according to OPD.

She was unambiguously intoxicated and was found in possession of a fictitious Maine driver's license.

She was cited for vandalism, sales to and use by underage persons, prohibited acts and disorderly conduct: intoxication. She was carted off to Butler County Jail.