Staff

Peep-hole not enough to see people in street

At 11 p.m. Friday, an OPD officer traveling on High Street noticed a vehicle nearly strike two female pedestrians in the crosswalk near Jimmy John's.

The car was completely coated in snow except for a small patch of the driver's side of the windshield. The officer said the thick blanket of snow would have prevented the driver from seeing the pedestrians.

The officer engaged his overhead lights and stopped the suspect vehicle in the 0 block of Main St. When asked, the driver presented a New Hampshire driver's license. He informed the officer he was traveling Uptown to retrieve a friend from a bar. The officer then asked for the driver's insurance card, which he was unable to provide as he had just acquired the vehicle.

While speaking to the suspect, the officer noticed the driver emitted a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage and stared blankly through glassy, bloodshot eyes. The officer asked if there were alcohol in the car, and the driver said there was not. When asked if he had been drinking, the suspect said he had consumed a beer around 8 p.m.

The officer asked the male if he had seen the two girls who were forced to leap out of way of his car. The driver said he had the green light, and therefore, the right of way. However, the crosswalk was not near any traffic light.

At the officer's request, the male performed three field sobriety tests, two of which he failed.

At the station, the suspect's BAC was measured to be .127. He was cited for OVI and failure to give right of way to pedestrians in a crosswalk.

Or-door up! Would you like cuffs with that?

At 2 a.m. Sunday, OPD was dispatched to Kelly Drive regarding an unwanted male banging on a stranger's door.

As the officer drove through the neighborhood, he noticed a suspect matching the male's description. When asked what he was doing, the man said he was looking for McDonald's. Immediately, the officer was able to smell alcohol on the man's person. The suspect was unsteady on his feet, and bore a black X on each hand, according to OPD. The officer asked the male how old he was, to which he responded, "20."

After informing the suspect McDonald's was on the other side of town, the officer asked him if he would submit to a search. "Go ahead," the male said, when officers asked to search his wallet.

His age was confirmed and he was asked if he had been drinking. "Not recently," he said.

The residents of the house in question confirmed the male's identity as the unwanted knocker.

OPD arrested the male, and cited him for disorderly conduct: public intoxication and sales to and use by underage persons. He was released to his residence.