PNC partners with Miami

Mekenna Sandstrom, For The Miami Student

Miami University announced an agreement with PNC Bank to provide services to students and staff. According to David Creamer, vice president of finance and business services, a new PNC branch and ATMs will be placed on campus.

PNC is known for working with colleges across the Midwest, including University of Cincinnati and Bowling Green State University. Creamer said he believes this is why Miami decided on the agreement and because there are students who use different banks on campus.

"There is no PNC branch here in the Oxford area, so students may have these bank accounts back at home," Creamer said.

Many students choose to use the services provided by Chase and Fifth Third Banks. Each bank has an ATM in Shriver Center.

Sophomore Kate Chapel uses PNC Bank and said she is happy about the new deal.

"I've considered switching banks quite a few times," Chapel said. "The closest PNC bank is close to Hamilton up the road and otherwise I have to go to Goggin [Ice Center] to use the ATM there."

Aside from placing a branch on campus and putting more ATMs in buildings such as Harris and Martin dining halls, PNC will provide students with services such as Virtual Wallet Student. This service is an online banking program that will help teach students the responsibilities of money management.

First-year Sarah Hanline said she found this program accommodating.

"I think me and my ridiculous spending could probably benefit from such a program," Hanline said.

According to Creamer, the Miami PNC branch will have a customized website that will be hosted by PNC. The website will allow students to complete account applications and use it for financial educational information.

Simple banking options will also be available via text message and mobile web functions.

Shriver Center will undergo renovations for the branch this summer.