Parking services, ASG collaborate on campus bus maps

Dave Matthews

At Tuesday's Associated Student Government (ASG) meeting, it was announced that a bus map bill is being put into effect, as new bus stop signs are being put up at the major stops on campus.

The signs were put up at stops earlier this month according to Perry Gordon, assistant director of Parking and Transportation Services at Miami. They not only include the times that the different buses arrive, they also have a detailed map that show where each bus route goes, and are at stops such as Millett Hall, Ditmer Parking Lot, and the Shriver Center.

"This was something that was recommended to us by ASG," Gordon said. "We reviewed the recommendation and went forward with it."

Student Body President Brian Alexander said the plan to put up new bus stop signs began as early as last summer, when he met with Gordon and Richard Keppler, director of Parking and Transportation Services at Miami. Alexander said Gordon, Keppler and himself were open to the idea of bus signs, and when an overwhelming majority of students polled by ASG in a survey last fall supported the idea of new bus signs, ASG wrote and approved a bill in October that put up five new signs.

Gordon was later contacted, and the bill was carried out.

"This is an example of something that comes to us, from students," Alexander said. "It's a great piece of legislation that works."

Alexander said that ASG will possibly put up a new survey about the signs to get more student reactions to see if more signs are needed.

Despite the success of this piece of legislation, a few issues such as weather, and the City Council meeting, which began partway through last Tuesday's ASG meeting, has had a negative impact on senate's turnout.

Yet Executive Vice President Ben Lingeman said he is confident in the organization's abilities and does not think that ASG is off to a rough start for the spring semester.

"Look at the circumstances," Lingeman said. "We had a snow day, and a Monday/Tuesday Switch Day - as well as turnover of several off-campus senators."

Alexander added that that the turnover of many off-campus senators added to the early-semester confusion.

"Senators resigned at the change of the semester, and some new people showed up," Alexander said. "It's hard getting them to adjust."

The election season has also had a toll on the legislative body.

"Senators would be working on other initiatives right now that they can't devote time to because they are campaigning," Lingeman said.

Despite this, Lingeman is certain that ASG will be effective for the remainder of the year.

"If you look at the number of pieces of legislation we have, it's all right," he said. "We have two more coming this week. Seven pieces in seven weeks, that's pretty good. Chances are, we'll have a steady stream (of legislation) - plan on 15 by the end of the semester."