Parking changes to take effect

Bethany Bruner, News Editor

New overnight parking changes will be taking effect in the next few weeks. A resolution was passed at the August 2 city council meeting which extends overnight parking restrictions in the uptown area.

Originally, according to City Manager Doug Elliott, no overnight parking had been permitted on High Street. Now, the new restrictions extend to the area bounded by the west side of College Avenue, the south side of Walnut Street, the east side of Campus Avenue and the north side of Church Street. No parking will be permitted from 4 until 5:30 a.m. on these streets.

Elliott said the original proposal for the overnight period extended farther away from the core of uptown, but Oxford City Council chose to narrow it down to about eight blocks.

The reasoning behind the overnight parking restrictions, according to Elliott, is to help city workers clean the streets of litter in the early morning hours. He also said this will help clear snow and ice during the winter months.

Elliott also said one council member had expressed concern over residents not being able to find parking spaces near their churches Sunday morning.

The resolution will go into effect September 1, 30 days after the resolution passed. Elliott said for the first week, warnings will be issued. After the first week, tickets will be issued to those violating the new restrictions. Tickets will be $25.

Elliott said there are no plans at present to extend the overnight parking restrictions further away from the core of uptown.

Stickers on parking signs around the affected areas will be changed in the near future.