Oxford LUNA festival to feature independent films, benefit breast cancer fund

Adam Reis

Movies will be on the minds of Miami University students, with LUNAFEST visiting campus Feb. 17.

Founded by LUNA in 2000, the company behind the women's nutrition bar, the event is a nationwide film festival with profits going toward charitable organizations.

"LUNAFEST is a nonprofit event and all of the proceeds from Miami's hosting will be donated to the Breast Cancer Fund," said Katelyn Turlington, women's center ambassador.

During the festival, LUNA screens short films sent in by various filmmakers and selects the ones the membership believes will be the most effective in stimulating discussion between the viewers.

The films are for women, about women and created by women, Turlington said, and seek to raise insight into women's issues in today's society.

"By using someone else's story, the festival attempts to challenge the viewers into seeing from a new perspective and relate to the presented issue," said Kristen Evans, assistant director of the Women's Center.

The films are also a means to highlight the talents of women and share stories.

Evans said the final and possibly most important goal of the festival is to motivate the viewers to become involved in giving back to the community and supporting women everywhere.

"LUNAFEST is for a great cause, and as hosts of the festival, we support their mission," Evans said.

This is the third year LUNAFEST has visited Miami, however the event has grown since 2000 and now hosts more than 100 events nationwide.

This year there are nine films selected to run, all averaging 15 to 20 minutes in length.

The festival begins at 7 p.m. in MacMillan Hall, with the entire event lasting around two hours. Following the viewing will be light refreshments and discussion.

Tickets can be purchased for $3 from the Women's Center and at the Shriver Box Office.